New to Me St. Croix Harding - I Mean Hastings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogieb

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2014
South Central NH
Anyone who has followed my sad tale on Cautionary Tale, probably didn't expect this so quickly - but I have heat out of the St. Croix Harding (er, Hastings) I bought used Friday night..

I found a gasket that I am comfortable running, the door shuts tightly now: old gasket white (obviously not correct size) and new gasket material slate colored

GasketMaterial_zps1a914f56.jpg

And, pics of the stove running.

Stoverunning_zps360b8ea6.jpg

Patternofflame_zps410cc365.jpg

I am still trying to dial in the damper. Not something I've had to deal with using the Harman in the basement so it is frustrating for me. But at least the temp in the bedroom has raised from 63 to 67.5 in the last 45 minutes (also figuring out fan configuration from pulling warm air out of the basement to moving air horizontally). The living room is nice and balmy, as are the kitchen and computer room. The bathroom is warmish (warmer than the bedroom anyway) and one other room is still cold but I'm not worried about that one as long as it is warm enough to keep the FHW pipe from freezing. I know it will all warm up in due time once the air starts moving around.

I want to thank everyone who kept encouraging me during my search for a stove (especially Bags), those that answered my questions on different brands and stoves, and those that laughed with me (and didn't thump me on the head) for my stupidity yesterday that I related in another post.

Last edited:
Reactions: bags
Yup, its a Hastings. I have the same stove.

Reactions: bogieb
Hearth pad looks like mine too.

Reactions: bogieb
Yep, Hastings. Don't know what I was thinking (maybe it's warm enough my brain turned to mush - LOL)

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Hearth pad looks like mine too.

Instead of haggling price, I got him to throw in the hearth pad - much better looking than the old one I had.

St. Croix damper adjustment takes time - only move it a tiny bit, then wait at least 10 minutes, 15 is better, if it needs more, repeat .................. glad to hear it's running and heating .....

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Instead of haggling price, I got him to throw in the hearth pad - much better looking than the old one I had.
My stove dealer didn't have any hearth pads I liked. I found this one at another place. I had it placed in the corner a week before my stove showed up.

I love the look of the Hastings but didn't buy one. I'm glad you guys who own them are happy with them !!

My stove dealer didn't have any hearth pads I liked. I found this one at another place. I had it placed in the corner a week before my stove showed up.

I don't know if this one came from a dealer or online since I bought the stove from an individual.

Nice job! And you didn't have to wait for the door gasket. We have snow here today already 2 -3 inches covering the roads. Yikes! Those are nice looking stoves. Off to Craigslist I go.

Nice job! And you didn't have to wait for the door gasket. We have snow here today already 2 -3 inches covering the roads. Yikes! Those are nice looking stoves. Off to Craigslist I go.

In my opinion, it's one of the nicest looking stoves out there. I couldn't find one that looked better.

As long as you're looking check out the St Croix Prescott EXP as well. You might even find a deal on a new one.

Reactions: bags
Status
Not open for further replies.