New to me stove choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nathan125

Nov 18, 2013
idaho
I have a 1200 sq ft single level home, attic insulation is sparse but will add more later on down the road.
I have been using a Sweet Home Alpine stove and it works well and heats the house fine enough but I acquired a Osburn 1600 stove, 1989 is the year it was built.
It has a secondary burn set up it appears but is it much of an upgrade to the Sweet Home I am currently using?
Any help in this decision would be good.

If you are burning well seasoned wood then I would expect the Osburn to be a bit more efficient. Does the Alpine have a baffle?

If you are burning well seasoned wood then I would expect the Osburn to be a bit more efficient. Does the Alpine have a baffle?
Yes, it does have a baffle. I do have seasoned wood; 2-3 years seasoned for hardwood and pine is standing dead when harvested.

So yes, I'd expect some improvement. It will burn cleaner and should burn a bit less wood. The Osburn 1600 is an E/W loader and I thought the Alpine was a N/S loader, but could be wrong. My preference is for N/S loading or ideally a squarish firebox so the loading direction is up to me.