New to pellet stoves, just bought a used 25-PDVC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

techguy802

Dec 10, 2019
Vermont
Hey all,

I've heated with wood for a few years, but recently picked up a used Englander 25-PDVC from Craigslist to help heat the other side of the house when not running the oil furnace or wood stove. Paid $275 for the stove and all the piping that was hooked up with it. The stove is pretty old (11/07) and needed a new ignitor. I have already installed a new ignitor and have been working on getting it cleaned up since it was pretty dirty. The room blower was loud and hardly moving any air, so I took it apart and found it completely clogged. Works a lot better now! I'm still learning a lot about this stove and have already bought a new burn pot gasket that I plan on installing. The hopper and door gaskets seem good from a dollar bill test.

The stove puts out plenty of heat, but it seems like the fire is taller than I thought it should be? Maybe a lazy flame? The picture is on 5/5. When I have it running full tilt on 9/9 I've noticed that it seems to get so hot that it shuts down and stops feeding pellets for a bit. The flame dies out and it eventually starts feeding again and is able to reignite from the hot coals.

I've put probably 8 bags of hardwood pellets through it so far until my local store ran out. Now I've been burning softwood pellets in the meantime. They seem to burn hotter but with more ash? The lid on the stove does mention to burn premium hardwood pellets for best performance. Will it cause any problems burning softwood?

Thanks for any insights... this forum is a great resource!

Before cleaning:
IMG_1817.jpg
IMG_1824.png
IMG_1854.jpg
IMG_1915.jpg

I have an older Englander that I got on CL for $250. Took me a few weeks to get dialed in but it has been a good stove especially for the price. Ssyko is a master with these stoves and will steer you right with any concerns. For sure do the burn plate modifications. That was by far the best thing I did to the stove to improve flame quality and heat output.

What are your 3 bottom numbers (trim settings)? What mode is it set on? Do a search here for tuning an englands stove for details on how to set and adjust your numbers. These stoves are very easy to tune for optimal performance.

Reactions: BackDoc
If your stove is shutting down there is a problem somewhere. Either you are in the wrong mode {C is the correct mode for a PDV ] or maybe the area behind the burn chamber needs a good cleaning. It could also be the temp overheat sensor . I am leaning towards a good cleaning based on how filthy it was. Definitely do the leaf blower trick. It works. Then check to see if the mode jumped to A or B . My PDV will sometimes jump modes if I loose power. Bottom 3 numbers only adjust setting 1+2 . any setting above 2 the control board takes over. I am on 461. But that will vary with pellet types and brands. I will only use softwood. Pdv and PDVC like softwood. Definitely also do the mods to the burn pot. [ plug the 2 holes to the left and right under the burn plate. no need to plug the holes above the plate because the lower holes feed the upper holes. Also enlarge the burn plate holes slightly right in front of the pellet auger tube and block off the ones around the outside of the burn plate. That will force the air right where you need it ,directly under the pellets.

What are your 3 bottom numbers (trim settings)? What mode is it set on? Do a search here for tuning an englands stove for details on how to set and adjust your numbers. These stoves are very easy to tune for optimal performance.

Bottom numbers from left to right are 4 4 1 and the stove is currently on mode C (haven't changed any of it from how the last owner had it)

If your stove is shutting down there is a problem somewhere. Either you are in the wrong mode {C is the correct mode for a PDV ] or maybe the area behind the burn chamber needs a good cleaning. It could also be the temp overheat sensor . I am leaning towards a good cleaning based on how filthy it was. Definitely do the leaf blower trick. It works. Then check to see if the mode jumped to A or B . My PDV will sometimes jump modes if I loose power. Bottom 3 numbers only adjust setting 1+2 . any setting above 2 the control board takes over. I am on 461. But that will vary with pellet types and brands. I will only use softwood. Pdv and PDVC like softwood. Definitely also do the mods to the burn pot. [ plug the 2 holes to the left and right under the burn plate. no need to plug the holes above the plate because the lower holes feed the upper holes. Also enlarge the burn plate holes slightly right in front of the pellet auger tube and block off the ones around the outside of the burn plate. That will force the air right where you need it ,directly under the pellets.

I was thinking the same thing... that the stove is probably pretty bad inside considering how the outside and room blower was. Need to track down a leaf blower to try that trick. Got it as best I could with a shop vac.

I had been doing some reading about changing the bottom numbers slightly, but I don't really know what I'm supposed to be looking for with the changes so didn't want to just start winging stuff. I will have to look into the burn pot mods... does that end up with a more efficient burn or something?

Thanks for the replies!

plugging the 2 holes under the burn plate makes a big diff with your combustion. But i would track down a leaf blower and give the stove a good cleaning then we can get you modded up and cooking. Englander stoves are real finicky about being clean. You get it running efficiently and you will know when it needs a clean out ;)

Bottom numbers from left to right are 4 4 1 and the stove is currently on mode C (haven't changed any of it from how the last owner had it)

I was thinking the same thing... that the stove is probably pretty bad inside considering how the outside and room blower was. Need to track down a leaf blower to try that trick. Got it as best I could with a shop vac.

I had been doing some reading about changing the bottom numbers slightly, but I don't really know what I'm supposed to be looking for with the changes so didn't want to just start winging stuff. I will have to look into the burn pot mods... does that end up with a more efficient burn or something?

Thanks for the replies!
Yes much better burn. more air the better the burn. For example I am running on 3-6 top setting and after burning 8 hours I have no build up and very little ash. Before I tuned I would get what we call a lava pile and that would block the air flow and give me a very lazy flame. when you clean with the blower keep it running sucking from the outside attached to the exhaust vent pipe . Then go in and remove the impingement plate [ that's the big metal plate that sits on top of the burn pot] and using a mallet or what I use is the handle end of a hammer and bang on the back of the burn chamber wall. But do not beat on it. I also use a wire fish and probe deep into the cavity behind the wall to loosen things up. Use your shop vac and adapt a small tube [ like a 3/8 plastic hose] to the vac hose and also get deep in the back cavity. Its tight but it goes. Always leave the leaf blower run while your cleaning. Believe me it will save your ass with the wife. It continually suck out what you break loose

plugging the 2 holes under the burn plate makes a big diff with your combustion. But i would track down a leaf blower and give the stove a good cleaning then we can get you modded up and cooking. Englander stoves are real finicky about being clean. You get it running efficiently and you will know when it needs a clean out ;)

Going to get a leaf blower this weekend... looks like Lowe's has some on end of year clearance. I'll post back with the results and maybe a video of how bad it was!

Thumbster you are correct. PDV=C and the PDVC=D . He stated that his PDVC is in C mode which could be the issue. I have no idea if the two model's take different Thermister's or not. If the high temp on the Thermister in the PDVC is lower then running in C mode might trip it and shut it down. That is what I was trying to explain. Maybe Ssyko know's ? He is more the electronic guy then me. I do know that people think that the two stoves are exactly the same but there are subtle differences .

Reactions: BackDoc
The thermister’s are the same for both models. The mode decides the temps required, but they both are the same.;)

So C mode will make it burn hotter than in D mode if I’ve got an understanding of things?

I would also check the RPM’s of your auger. (watch your bottom auger and see how many times it goes around in 1 minute then assume your top auger is the same)

I thought I’ve read on here that they’re supposed to be 1 RPM motors? My PDVC motor is about 1 3/4 RPM’s so it feeds almost twice the amount of pellets that a 1 RPM motor does. A friend of mine has the same stove and his is over 1 1/2 RPM’s also.

It still works but I just keep the pellet feed rate (heat range) down. On setting 3 after a couple hours the left front side is about 500° even with the blower on 9. If I turned the feed rate up to 9 It would melt the stove lol.

Last edited:
So C mode will make it burn hotter than in D mode if I’ve got an understanding of things?

I would also check the RPM’s of your auger. (watch your bottom auger and see how many times it goes around in 1 minute then assume your top auger is the same)

I thought I’ve read on here that they’re supposed to be 1 RPM motors? My PDVC motor is about 1 3/4 RPM’s so it feeds almost twice the amount of pellets that a 1 RPM motor does. A friend of mine has the same stove and his is over 1 1/2 RPM’s also.

It still works but I just keep the pellet feed rate down. On setting 3 after a couple hours the left front side is about 500° even with the blower on 9. If I turned the feed rate up to 9 It would melt the stove lol.
You are correct. C is hotter then D. They are supposed to be 1rpm but if they have been replaced all bets are off. Unless they replaced them with pen or really looked at the aftermarket spec’s. Not quite sure how you are running with 1 3/4 rpm motors. It must be like running on high all the time.

You are correct. C is hotter then D. They are supposed to be 1rpm but if they have been replaced all bets are off. Unless they replaced them with pen or really looked at the aftermarket spec’s. Not quite sure how you are running with 1 3/4 rpm motors. It must be like running on high all the time.

Headed home shortly to try switching from C to D mode and see if I notice any difference. The last owner did tell me he replaced an auger (I think the only thing he ever replaced on it) so I will check out that too.

Picked up a cheap leaf blower at Lowe’s so I will probably attempt the cleaning tomorrow!

Last edited:

Not sure how or why it’s 1 3/4 RPM’s on mine or my friends stove (1 1/2 ish on his) We bought both stoves refurbished from Englander (amfm energy). I got mine sept 2018 and he got his a few weeks ago.

It works out for me. Mine is in a 1200 sq ft pole barn (12’ ceiling) with concrete floors and my friend just put his in his similar sized garage.

I’d be running it on high or close to it anyway if I had a 1 RPM motor.
I did turn the low fuel feed down to 2-4-1. It’s noticeably Cooler when I’m on Heat range 1 or 2 vs 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pellet rick
call Englander support. they had a batch of stoves that got the wrong auger motors due to a supplier mess up and they are making it right last i heard.

Reactions: Thumbster
I would call ESW and ask what mode your stove is supposed to run on. I read here that the PDV is mode C and the PDVC is D. Checked Dads PDV last night and it was on D from factory (AMFM). Seems like different years of mfg. differ in settings. But it really does not matter in the grand scheme of things. D runs cooler and C runs hotter if you really want to simplify things...

I didn't completely bail on this... just got sidetracked! I had someone else on Craiglist offer me a Harman P61 that was pretty beat for $200... so of course I jumped on that. Got it set up in place of the Englander... will probably eventually do some switching around to have 1 at each end of the house. I will make sure to give the Englander a thorough cleaning with the leaf blower out on the porch before it's hooked up again.