New to Pellet Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hvac4Life

Dec 9, 2018
PA
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a used Englander 25-pdvc (2003) and installed it this weekend. Maybe I'm over reacting but the pellet vent coming off the back seems hotter than I expected. I'm venting with the 3" pelletvent thru wall kit with a 45° off the appliance collar before exiting house. Am I over reacting and this is normal?

- Randy

Attachments

• 20181208_215400.jpg
    20181208_215400.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 103
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a used Englander 25-pdvc (2003) and installed it this weekend. Maybe I'm over reacting but the pellet vent coming off the back seems hotter than I expected. I'm venting with the 3" pelletvent thru wall kit with a 45° off the appliance collar before exiting house. Am I over reacting and this is normal?

- Randy
How hot is it and what were you expecting?

If I remember correctly exhaust get hot. Be sure you are matching fan and burn rate. 5-5, 7-7, etc on the control board. I think they also have some settings A B C. Check which setting you should have. I Know different settings can burn hotter than other. If you don't find any information here, contact them.

Some has the three numbers on the bottom are 6-4-1, but check for your year model what should be.

The exhaust pipe on my stove is cool enough to touch, but hot enough you wouldn't want to keep your hand on it for very long. It's a little cooler than the top of the stove gets when warmed up.

New to this forum. First question - Is it ok to piggyback off this thread with a simple question?

Question - Aren't the heat range and blower speed numbers supposed to remain on (like 5 - 5) while stove is operating?

New to this forum. First question - Is it ok to piggyback off this thread with a simple question?

Question - Aren't the heat range and blower speed numbers supposed to remain on (like 5 - 5) while stove is operating?
it should, that is what is recommended. For what i understand you can go higher on the air but no lower than the heat range. ideal is 5-5, 7-7, etc.

Oh shoot. I am not always clear.
I meant the lights are OUT. If I push one (heat or blower, up or down) the lights come on, and the button push affected the stove. So if it was 5-5 and I could not tell because the lights are out, I push heat down and it lights up 4-5.
I just want to look at it and see whatever it is running at.

Oh shoot. I am not always clear.
I meant the lights are OUT. If I push one (heat or blower, up or down) the lights come on, and the button push affected the stove. So if it was 5-5 and I could not tell because the lights are out, I push heat down and it lights up 4-5.
I just want to look at it and see whatever it is running at.
YEAH YOU CAN GO DOWN ON HEAT AND/OR UP ON AIR. BUT AIR NEVER GOES LOWER THAN HEAT I THINK.

Some of the older pdvc &pdv you could lower the fan below the heat range but the new stoves are programmed to not allow that. Honestly I don’t remember if mine stayed lit or not. Sold it a few months back.

I checked my pip temp today and it's 250°F at exhaust blower exit. This seem ok? BTW, this was at a 5-5 setting running about 20 minutes.

Your pipe temp is going to fluctuate with your settings, you could try dropping the heat down to 4 and fan up to 7 and take the heat out of the stove for your living space instead of sending it up the chimney.