New to Pellets stoves and looking for input.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drakemalbion

Dec 21, 2009
Southeastern MA
Hi folks,
I'm a new homeowner and I bought myself a Quadrafire Santa Fe. Came with a ton of platinum fire "super premium" pellets back in October. Im just now on the look for a new pellet and looking for some advise. In the area we have a ton of different brand ranging from $4.94 a bag to $6.00 a bag.
we have:
Walmart's Pennington 5.30 a bag
Home Depot with Freedom fuel 4.94 a bag
a local suppliers with
Barefoot $309 a ton
O'Malley's $259 a ton
New England $279 a ton
Inferno $269 a ton
Appling county $239-$259 a ton
Lignetics $290 a ton
Okanagan $309 a ton
I have no truck myself or a friend with one for that matter so I am also looking at a $50-$65 delivery charge. :(

Okies or Barefoot is what I'd go with. The little extra money that your going to pay will result in a happier pellet burner. They cost more for a reason. Just look at the most recent BIG BOX pellet review on the forum that was done so well.

For the price, I'd give the O'Malleys a shot. Decent pellet, and decent (although still not great) price.

I've burned everything on that list except for the freedom fuel
and the inferno. If I needed pellets and had to choose from that
line up, it would be the Omalleys. I have one ton of them that
I'm burning now and they're a fantastic pellet. If money wasn't
tight and I had a friend with a truck, I'd go for the Okanagans.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I burned some of the new englands and was pretty happy with the heat and the small amount of ash in comparison to the platinum fires. I think I'm going to go with the O'Malley's after a few more tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.