new to plumbing i have some questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waynewagner33

Dec 25, 2013
milford pa
currently my home has three zones 2 for baseboard heat and one for dhw each zone has its own pump. if i were to install an open system gassification boiler with storage could i simply remove existing oil boiler that is connected input and output by 11/2 black pipe and install in place of the boiler a heat exchanger and intall input and output of storage to other side of heat exchanger with a pump somewhere in the line to move water from storage. where would be ideal place for pump storage would be 25ft from existing boiler.also would the pump need to run constantly or could i wire it through contactor to only run when zone call for heat. the wiring part is not a problem but as an electrician plumbing has me thinking

I think you'd want the heat exchanger between the boiler & the storage so that the boiler is the only thing that's open.

Pressurized storage or non-pressurized?

And what would you do for backup heat?

Why would you do an open system?
PA does not require ASME for boilers located in single-family dwellings or multi-unit dwellings with four or fewer units.

Status
Not open for further replies.