New to radiant floor heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brentchaffin

Sep 30, 2020
Missouri
Ok so bear with me I’m new to radiant floor heat. So we just finish building a new house. I ran my floor loops. Just purchased a new crown royal multi pass owb. I’m working on getting everything hooked up. So my thought was you could just run your line from the stove to a manifold, through the floor and back to the stove. After reading some things on here I realize that is not the correct method. Looking for help on setting up the best system. The stove is a duel pump set up. One line will go to the furnace in my shop, which I have set up before. Thanks in advance.

What is your back up heat source? Gas fired boiler? Common practice is to use a heat exchanger to keep boiler water and home water separate.

What is your back up heat source? Gas fired boiler? Common practice is to use a heat exchanger to keep boiler water and home water separate.

so backup heat would be an electric furnace. I’m hoping with the floor heat it won’t run much. So the heat exchanger would use the boiler water to heat the floor water without mixing. So is a mixing valve still required to reduce the temp of the water going into the floor?

Last edited:
Is this in a slab or between joists? Are you heating domestic water?

I don't see any reason that you couldn't run boiler water through the floor. Mixing valve somewhere to keep temperatures low enough for the concrete.

So my understanding is a heat exchanger will send the correct temp water into the floor system. So I guess no mixing valve is needed with a heat exchanger? How does one determine the btu needed for the correct size exchanger?

so backup heat would be an electric furnace. I’m hoping with the floor heat it won’t run much. So the heat exchanger would use the boiler water to heat the floor water without mixing. So is a mixing valve still required to reduce the temp of the water going into the floor?
Yes.

FA145473-092D-4BF5-92FF-4713650E8F0B.jpeg

Ok so here is my plan.

a heat ex changer will not regulate the temperatures.
You should still have a a way regulate your water temp going to the concret floor

a heat ex changer will not regulate the temperatures.
You should still have a a way regulate your water temp going to the concret floor

So The heat exchanger says it would be 120° water at radiant side. Then if I put a mix valve in after the heat exchanger I should be able to regulate 100° water going into the floor.

Reactions: Highbeam
The heat exchanger temps will fluctuate depending on flow rates and boiler temp, that's why you need a mixing valve to control the water temp going in the slab.
I personally don't use a heat exchanger to separate the boiler water and floor, but we are farther south so freezing a floor is rare, and our furnaces are all stainless so less chance of sludge in the floor loops.

Your drawing looks accurate, the floor pump would be between the mixing valve and the hot (supply) manifold.
Main loop would have a pump on the wood boiler.

Your drawing looks accurate, the floor pump would be between the mixing valve and the hot (supply) manifold.
Main loop would have a pump on the wood boiler.

Thank you. I forgot the pump in the manifold side. Also thought about adding a bypass line to fill the floor loops from the lines from the stove. Something like this:

502B1177-7419-41D6-ABAF-CD7BE799BA5F.jpeg

Your floor system will have its own expansion tank, air bleed, and pressure. The boiler side might be glycol, no pressure, and funky. I don’t think you want to try and connect the two with a bypass. May as well just skip the heat exchanger then.

Your floor system will have its own expansion tank, air bleed, and pressure. The boiler side might be glycol, no pressure, and funky. I don’t think you want to try and connect the two with a bypass. May as well just skip the heat exchanger then.

I don’t have any water plumbed to the floor system now. Just trying to figure out where to pull water from. I also don’t have an expansion tank or air bleeder in the system. I had thought I probably need an air bleeder. How vital is an expansion tank?

Could just plumb a couple hose bibs in, in proper spots, for filling with a garden hose. Should also plumb some in along with isolation valves for easy HX flushing/cleaning on the boiler side of it.

You need an expansion tank. I'd flip the two ball/drain valves and add a drain to the cold side.

I think your pump is backward? Should be pulling out of the mixing valve?

034B8219-10AB-4055-AE79-8A672239BDC2.jpeg

Ok so got my system all setup. Still trying to fine tune it. Seems I’m getting less then 1/2 a gallon/minute of flow through each line. Trying to work out how to increase flow. Running an 007 taco pump. Will a bigger pump with more head flow help? Maybe split it up and run 2 pumps, 1 per 3 loops? Any suggestions?

View attachment 265922
Ok so got my system all setup. Still trying to fine tune it. Seems I’m getting less then 1/2 a gallon/minute of flow through each line. Trying to work out how to increase flow. Running an 007 taco pump. Will a bigger pump with more head flow help? Maybe split it up and run 2 pumps, 1 per 3 loops? Any suggestions?

Maybe open those closed ball valves on the loops? Why did you use those ball valves in addition to the valves on the manifolds?

I see you used pex . Did you use the heating barrier pex or regular water pex?

Do the manifolds have pressure gauges too?

Maybe open those closed ball valves on the loops? Why did you use those ball valves in addition to the valves on the manifolds?

I see you used pex . Did you use the heating barrier pex or regular water pex?

Do the manifolds have pressure gauges too?

The valves are just closed in the picture. When I run them all open flow rate is very slow.

I used the ball valves so I could shut down loops if needed. An oversight since I can shut them off at the manifold but they are there now.

It is heating barrier pex.

The manifolds do have gauges. It running like 3 kg/cm2

Reactions: Highbeam
The 007 is not ideally suited for floor heat, it's a fairly low head pump, a higher head circ like a Taco 0015 or grundfos 15-58 would probably up your flow rates. Also rotate your pump motor horizontal would help it last.