New to radiant floor heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I agree you’re asking a lot from a 007.

Never ever seen a pump mounted that way.

I will try a different pump.

It says you can mount the pumps horizontal or vertical. Not sure why it would matter?

Did you read the manual? That is not one of the specd orientations. It makes for the impeller being in a high spot that can capture and hold tiny bubbles that can create cavitation.

The 007 is designed more for a baseboard loop (not much resistance to flow). So a higher head pump would help.
But in reality I've seen a slab heat fine on some very low flow rates.

A bummer is that we are even talking about standard Taco Pumps, Yes they were workhorses and we all know them but quite inefficient. ECM pumps are the way to go, far more efficient and most have built in logic so that the pump can be matched to the loop. Think of them as the LED of the pump world compared to the old style cartridge pumps that are akin to an incandescent lighbulb. The Europeans have banned the old style cartridge circulators from new instalations. Typically radiant pumps run 24/7 so the watts start to add up. If someone is buying new it does not make sense to do anything other than ECM pumps. BTW Taco makes ECM pumps so you can still go "green".

Some folks decide to go with old style cartridge pumps as they are a cheaper first cost, its definitely" pay me now or pay me later choice. It may be installed for 20 years and the extra first cost will be paid back many times. Slower pumps last longer and are quieter and an ECM pump usually can be matched to the loop to run at a lower speed.

Reactions: Highbeam
The 007 is designed more for a baseboard loop (not much resistance to flow). So a higher head pump would help.
But in reality I've seen a slab heat fine on some very low flow rates.

It is currently working and heating the house. I think the rooms further from the manifold are not as warm so I must be pumping to slow. Just trying to build it as efficient as I can. Thanks for all the help.

A bummer is that we are even talking about standard Taco Pumps, Yes they were workhorses and we all know them but quite inefficient. ECM pumps are the way to go, far more efficient and most have built in logic so that the pump can be matched to the loop. Think of them as the LED of the pump world compared to the old style cartridge pumps that are akin to an incandescent lighbulb. The Europeans have banned the old style cartridge circulators from new instalations. Typically radiant pumps run 24/7 so the watts start to add up. If someone is buying new it does not make sense to do anything other than ECM pumps. BTW Taco makes ECM pumps so you can still go "green".

Some folks decide to go with old style cartridge pumps as they are a cheaper first cost, its definitely" pay me now or pay me later choice. It may be installed for 20 years and the extra first cost will be paid back many times. Slower pumps last longer and are quieter and an ECM pump usually can be matched to the loop to run at a lower speed.

I did not put enough research into my pump. Thanks for the info.

This has been a good read as I will be doing some of this next year.
Are you doing in floor heat? I have a 4 zone manifold for in-floor heating with adjustable thermostat on each zone if you are interested.I ended up with a bunch of cast iron rads and went that route.

Are you doing in floor heat? I have a 4 zone manifold for in-floor heating with adjustable thermostat on each zone if you are interested.I ended up with a bunch of cast iron rads and went that route.
My new shop has pex run in the floor, just a bunch of lines sticking out. So I will need everything else

Not sure I’d need 4 zones. Just a 30x40 shed

I am looking at putting in a radiant wall on a zone. John Siegenthaller is a big advocate of them as they are lot more responsive than a typical concrete floor system and can use lower temperature water.

It is currently working and heating the house. I think the rooms further from the manifold are not as warm so I must be pumping to slow. Just trying to build it as efficient as I can. Thanks for all the help.
You might can throttle the shorter runs a bit to push more flow to the other loops.
You could eventually get a 15-58 grundfos and keep the 007 as a backup.