new to stoves. Northern NJ

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brianv1980

Aug 15, 2018
Nj
Hello all

Looking to supplement my natural gas furnace to my house. I have a split level home about 1800 square feet. Looking to put the stove on the ground floor open floor plan with 2 ceiling fans. Second floor (off set from ground floor) open floor plan new ceiling insulation and ceiling fan. 3rd floor bedrooms

Looking to install myself with a friend who is a general contractor. Looking for suggestions on a stove. I have read good things on the englander stoves from Home Depot?!? One of my friends is a jutol fan. I have never had a stove before so this is new to me

In northern nj winters usually 20 at night normally get a cold snap or two to 0s.

Thanks

Hello all

Looking to supplement my natural gas furnace to my house. I have a split level home about 1800 square feet. Looking to put the stove on the ground floor open floor plan with 2 ceiling fans. Second floor (off set from ground floor) open floor plan new ceiling insulation and ceiling fan. 3rd floor bedrooms

Looking to install myself with a friend who is a general contractor. Looking for suggestions on a stove. I have read good things on the englander stoves from Home Depot?!? One of my friends is a jutol fan. I have never had a stove before so this is new to me

In northern nj winters usually 20 at night normally get a cold snap or two to 0s.

Thanks

Budget?

What do you want out of the stove? A couple hours of heat every evening or are you looking to cut 50-75-100% off your natural gas bill?

Have you put your wood up yet?

No wood yet and I know that will hamper this season. Looking to hopefully save about 50-60% off heating bill. Looking at 1000-1500 for stove itself.

The venerable Englander 30-NC will do the job. Also look at the big Drolets.

I can certainly endorse the 30-NC. Bought the first one on this site in 2006 and it provided 100% of the heat in this 2,500 sq. ft. Northern Virginia barn until last year when I got too old and busted up to whack the wood anymore. When I picked it up at the Englander plant in 2006 Mike Holton told me "It ain't gonna split down the middle." It hasn't.

It sits in wait for those teens nights when I don't want to put the electric company employees' kids through college. Or for power failures.

Go large if the intent is to heat 24/7.