New to Wood Burning and Overwhelmed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I keep mine on the stove top of my insert. Easy to read there, maybe a bit higher reading than on the front.
Different insert. Many inserts have convective tops which will read much cooler.

Both Kodiak 1200?
You're right. I was thinking of another stove. The stove top on the Enviro insert is not the actual stove top, it should read a bit cooler than the face. @lml999 can you try moving the thermometer to the face and tell us what it reads in comparison.

I take my temp readings from the face. The stove top on my Pacific Energy Summit insert is floating, and not really connected to the firebox, so it reads a LOT cooler than the stove front.

Seems like a never ending set of questions but was hoping someone had an opinion how the baffle is sitting in the insert. My wife pointed it out to me that it looks like the right side is sitting up off the secondary tubes.

Any idea if that's normal or not? I looked at the manual and the picture isn't that great and the instructions don't indicate either way. No idea if it's been like that all along or if we bumped it accidentally.

Attachments

• IMG_20200122_193034.jpg
    IMG_20200122_193034.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20200122_193122.jpg
    IMG_20200122_193122.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 140
Seems like a never ending set of questions but was hoping someone had an opinion how the baffle is sitting in the insert. My wife pointed it out to me that it looks like the right side is sitting up off the secondary tubes. Any idea if that's normal or not? I looked at the manual and the picture isn't that great and the instructions don't indicate either way. No idea if it's been like that all along or if we bumped it accidentally.

It definitely looks out of place to me. Those two baffle boards should be on the same plane. They still need to overlap, but only to where they are both flat.

Reactions: Woody Stover
The two half-thickness parts of the baffle should overlap to make a full-thickness seam, so to speak. Then the whole board is one plane across the top of the secondary tubes. It should be pushed to the back. It's not at all hard to adjust. I installed my baffle and tubes while the installer was handling the chimney. I just had him check that I'd done it right when he came inside. I'd also imagine that it's not hard to bump out of place in your small box, so I'd imagine it just got knocked.