New to wood burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If your burning semi seasoned wood I'd set up a sweep in mid winter if your concerned about creosote. Schedule it now as they will most likely are getting booked up. It will also allow you to see how your doing as far as your burning habits are.

If your burning semi seasoned wood I'd set up a sweep in mid winter if your concerned about creosote. Schedule it now as they will most likely are getting booked up. It will also allow you to see how your doing as far as your burning habits are.
Good suggestion. It's not a bad idea to clean after every cord burned when the wood is sub-optimal.

I originally purchased the washer probe and had it setting on my stove top under a piece of scrap metal. Worked fine but kept getting bumped and falling off. Now it’s just shoved up between the insulation and the liner. I have a pre insulated liner. It’s not ideal. Goes up fast but not down. I will be ordering regular probe and drilling and installing it mounted the the outer liner best I can.

I will also be ordering a second (maybe the wireless version) for my downstairs insert. It’s a wrapped insulation liner. Probably will drill and use a hose lamp to secure the probe.

I thought about installing at the appliance adapter. I would like some feedback if that’s a good idea or not.
Evan
Thanks for the insight! I was thinking similar and installing a probe at the tee connector right before it goes into the flex liner. Im sure it would be around 100 degrees warmer there than 18” up but there or surface mount are my only options for cleaning as well.