New to woodburning , any advice on a used stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guts and glory

Jan 3, 2014
Orange county Ny
I have been searching this site for info on stoves for sale in my area. There is a ton of great information
I can't seem to find much on a stove I have in mind though..It's a quadrafire intertec 3100 priced for 450.00 with pipe...the seller seems to be illiterate on the subject of wood stoves or just playing dumb? (doesnt know the model# from the BTU's) I had him send me a pic of the label .
Being that it's my first consideration on a wood burner it had features I was interesed in that may or may no tbe of value.
I'm shopping with these feature in mind.
Size (2800 square foot home)
Glass front ( Fire is puuurty)
Ash pan ( seems to be easier cleaning)

I have this stove as a 1st consideration being that the pipe alone is worth 450.00.

2nd place is a Harman Exception ( not crazy about the afterburner? ) 1300.00
3rd one i cant find info on is the ovation 3000 for 500.00 new in crate...seems like it might have escaped someones delivery ticket...:eek:
I'm trying to stay away from the old fisher and timberlines for 250.00 but it's not beneath me to burn in an antique..seems like some people love them old beasts. ( coming from a guy who plows his driveway with a '51 farm tractor)
I posted in The boiler room and was gratefully steered clear of a bad wood boiler. so If I have to not buy a used woodstove either it wouldnt discourage me...the only thing discouraging is my oil bill!

None of those stoves is gonna heat 2800 sqft. You are gonna need big firepower. Something like the 5700 from quad or a F600. Maybe the big hearthstone, etc. Think big.

I have been searching this site for info on stoves for sale in my area. There is a ton of great information
I can't seem to find much on a stove I have in mind though..It's a quadrafire intertec 3100 priced for 450.00 with pipe...the seller seems to be illiterate on the subject of wood stoves or just playing dumb? (doesnt know the model# from the BTU's) I had him send me a pic of the label .
Being that it's my first consideration on a wood burner it had features I was interesed in that may or may no tbe of value.
I'm shopping with these feature in mind.
Size (2800 square foot home)
Glass front ( Fire is puuurty)
Ash pan ( seems to be easier cleaning)

I have this stove as a 1st consideration being that the pipe alone is worth 450.00.

2nd place is a Harman Exception ( not crazy about the afterburner? ) 1300.00
3rd one i cant find info on is the ovation 3000 for 500.00 new in crate...seems like it might have escaped someones delivery ticket...:eek:
I'm trying to stay away from the old fisher and timberlines for 250.00 but it's not beneath me to burn in an antique..seems like some people love them old beasts. ( coming from a guy who plows his driveway with a '51 farm tractor)
I posted in The boiler room and was gratefully steered clear of a bad wood boiler. so If I have to not buy a used woodstove either it wouldnt discourage me...the only thing discouraging is my oil bill!

I can't say much of anything useful about the stoves but some more info will help those who can. Are you looking for this to be the primary heat source or to supplement your heating (i.e how much wood are you willing and able to process and store)? Where will the stove go and what's the layout? A huge stove in an area that you cannot get the heat out to the rest of the house may not work for you, conversely as Jags is suggesting a small stove in a big area won't cut it either.

I did read the sticky...the only info I found on the specific models was one guy having problems with the intertec 3100 cracking and most people love the Harmon exceptions.Not much on the Ovation besides questionable origins/ who's design it is.Having down time between jobs I can expect to cut and process firewood,even 180 a cord isnt bad compared to 2--3 gallons a day plus propane. I'm looking to knock out most of my oil reliance, the main living room is where the call for heat comes in aside from DHW. Running the gas fireplace heats the upstairs nicley but the living room (16x 20 ) is where the wood burner is destined. There and the kitchen is where we spend most of our time...I'll hit the local stove dealers tomorrow after work and see what they have to say.
Is the double wall pipe better of being had new or used? There is a bunch on craigslis for less than 1/2 price.

Noone has said it yet, so I'll throw it in...

Start cutting and stacking wood now. Buying wood isn't gonna work. Just sayin'.

Yep! I'm on it! I have a few trees in mind... I like the pallet crate ideas I've seen here. There is some real creative things to be done with fire wood handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.