New Toy... Yardman Leaf Vacuum ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I was given this unit.
Leaf%20vacuum%202_zpsllvdkfck.jpg
Can I get some feed back ... How well does it work , quirks etc..

I do have the manual ..it looks like the impeller is bolted to the motor's shaft , requiring me to spin everything when trying to pull start.
No I have not gotten it started .. sat for a while ..I did clean carb and fuel line..new fuel, spark plug.
It's single digits out today and holiday is coming ... just researching ... Thanks

I'm wondering if I can put an electric snow blower starter?

Get the model # and look up IPL. You can see what parts go on it. MTD model # is something like 12A-148R701

Vacuum Model # 247 203B401
No info on motor...
I will have to research that next..

I can't tell from the pics - when enlarged, they become 1/2" squares. I can't read the recoil label. Somewhere on that engine will be the model #. Many times, # is stamped into sheet metal.
May be a Tecumseh? If they were still in business when engine made.

Tecumseh oHH55-69013C-oo

You can google the model # and see engine diagrams from parts houses and see if an electric starter is an option. I doubt it.
Try a little starter fluid sprayed into the intake behind air filter. It should pop and run 1-2 secs. If pop and run, you know you have fuel delivery issues. I would try a $13 carb on ebay.
If no pop, gotta explore spark/timing and compression. Ground plug on cyl fins and look for spark. Make sure the kill switch & circuit isn't engaged.

Got spark, just need some more muscle to pull this sucker over... and time to do it.

Hmmm ... Can I remove the pull start and use an impact gun to turn it over.

So, this chipper is much harder to pull over than a 5.5hp lawn mower? If so, may be a compression release problem or valves way out of adjustment..
It may be self propelled - make sure the tranny is not engaged.
Hard to imagine that an impeller on the crankshaft would cause much more resistance than a 22" grass blade.

There is a big impeller mounted to the shaft of the engine.
247-203B401_(1997)_WW_7.gif

I do yard work up here in the summer and I have a similar lawn vacuum but it's not my favorite way to clear a lawn of leaves simply because the bag fills so fast on these vacuums. I used it on one lot last fall, an average sized house lot, I'd say it was 80x120 and they had some smaller maple trees and a few larger ones also. I must have had to empty the bag on the vacuum 50 times! Over and over again.... I'd only get one time down the back yard and maybe a third of the way back and the bags would be full again. That was too much work and too much time spent on one yard for me!

So, this chipper is much harder to pull over than a 5.5hp lawn mower? If so, may be a compression release problem or valves way out of adjustment..
It may be self propelled - make sure the tranny is not engaged.
Hard to imagine that an impeller on the crankshaft would cause much more resistance than a 22" grass blade.
That's just the way they are, the impeller on mine is heavy steel and there's more to it than just a lawnmower blade and it starts easy but slowly. It reminds me of a old slow running tractor engine when starting it. My vacuum is a Craftsman 6.5hp Tecumseh, they're all basically the same.

I did get it to start!
A little seafoam and it purrs .. I agree with the big effort it take to pull it over..also agree with you WicsWoody about slowness!

I do not know what it is about these and the chipper shredder version (8hp) dang near impossible to pull over. Mine jamed on a bit of twigg when I was try to start it a number of years ago- put me in the ER. Still have that xyz, don't use it. Has less then 20 total run hours on it. I have a big 20HP Echo/Bearcat unit now- push button- Varoom

Yeah, mine made it to the curb awhile ago too. I bought a vintage (and somewhat rusty) Mackissic type that works well even with low horsepower.

Many of the lots I take care of have woods next to them so instead of vacuuming the leaves I use a wheeled 6.5 hp blower and a backpack blower to blow clients leaves into the woods. It takes 1/3 the time versus vacuuming them- but not everyone is going to have woods to blow the leaves to. Maybe the neighbors won't notice a few more leaves coming home from work...:)

I do yard work up here in the summer and I have a similar lawn vacuum but it's not my favorite way to clear a lawn of leaves simply because the bag fills so fast on these vacuums. I used it on one lot last fall, an average sized house lot, I'd say it was 80x120 and they had some smaller maple trees and a few larger ones also. I must have had to empty the bag on the vacuum 50 times! Over and over again.... I'd only get one time down the back yard and maybe a third of the way back and the bags would be full again. That was too much work and too much time spent on one yard for me!

WiscWoody, if you've got a lot of leaves you might want to look into one of these. Cyclonerake.com. They make a great product. Bought one three years ago after emptying my Toro leaf vac more times than I care to remember. They're a little pricey but, IMO, well worth the investment. American made in Connecticut and great customer service.