New Trail

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
When we had a Micro Burst in 2008, this was my first hill I ever worked, 13 cherry trees down with 2 or 3 maples. I came in a different way which made the job even harder so it looks like with some stump removal (pic 7036) along with some dead wood removal I'll have easy access to this hill.

By the time I cut the rounds in pic 7038 I said screw it, pic 7039 I left because of a widowmaker on the right (I'll need to check that) pic 7041 & 7042 is a nice cherry I'll take once I clear the trail up.

Attachments

• New Trail
    100_7036.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 139
  • New Trail
    100_7037.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 180
  • New Trail
    100_7038.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 140
  • New Trail
    100_7039.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 142
  • New Trail
    100_7041.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 151
  • New Trail
    100_7042.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 148
Looks like a good weekend for trail clearing. White stuff long gone here, had some falling the other night. Lit stove first time in a week, will again tonight. Enjoy the woods!

Reactions: zap
Looks like a good weekend for trail clearing. White stuff long gone here, had some falling the other night. Lit stove first time in a week, will again tonight. Enjoy the woods!
We're still burning 1 or 2 fires a day, damp with the temps at 35 -37. This week it looks like a big warm up for us so we'll burn less.

Show your current stack Zap. Seems that you are working nonstop since i join this form 4 years a go. lol.

Show your current stack Zap. Seems that you are working nonstop since i join this form 4 years a go. lol.
Just keeping the trails open, grabbing the downed wood which can be a full time job. I said this trail would be done last year but like usual I missed my deadline.

This is the other clearing job I have, a bigtooth aspen so I can get to that hill which has a small beech down. Once you get it cleared mother nature starts dropping more trees in a different area, it's never ending.

Attachments

• New Trail
    100_7004.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
How big a are the stumps and how will you get them out of there?
Neighbor?
I'm not sure how big the stumps are, if I need some power the 660 with a so so chain will do. Those stumps are from a very long time ago so it should be some easy cutting.

When I was clearing some downed trees today so I could open up a trail I touch some dirt a couple of times, sharpener here I come.

Hey Zap, How much land do you have up there?

What hills zap? When I was there it looked flat. ;lol All kidding aside, zap has a wonderful place and he'll never be in need of firewood as he has plenty. It is a beautiful piece of nature right in his back yard and he is also blessed with a wonderful stream.

What hills zap? When I was there it looked flat. ;lol All kidding aside, zap has a wonderful place and he'll never be in need of firewood as he has plenty. It is a beautiful piece of nature right in his back yard and he is also blessed with a wonderful stream.
Thanks Dennis, you never included the wife,!!! you're in deep chit!

I doubt it zap. You have a wonderful wife and we'd never exclude her.

I doubt it zap. You have a wonderful wife and we'd never exclude her.
The wife said your off the hook. ;) This week I'll stack until Wednesday then start on some stump removal, cutting of some smaller trees then just clean up the dead chit so we have this trail open before or by Sunday.

With this warmer weather coming in the frogs should making that noise we like, that hill could be a great place for us to listen.

We also have that nice topped off Cherry that would look great in the stacks or maybe make some nice boards for a project.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Seems you have come full circle! :eek:

After dropping the maple then hauling it home I cleared this new trail to Rocky Top, once I was up I dropped the topped off Cherry, hauled that home next to the splitter.

The last two pics I'm heading out calling it a day.

Attachments

• New Trail
    100_7126.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 89
  • New Trail
    100_7127.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 82
  • New Trail
    100_7128.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 60
  • New Trail
    100_7129.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 79
  • New Trail
    100_7131.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 72
  • New Trail
    100_7132.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 75
  • New Trail
    100_7133.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 86
  • New Trail
    100_7134.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 87
  • New Trail
    100_7135.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 137
  • New Trail
    100_7136.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 75
some nice chucks!

So did you also play the music of Rocky Top Tennessee while cutting that?

It looks like another trail opening session coming up so I can get to this downed Cherry. Last year I cut,split and left some pine in the woods so it should only take about 15 minutes to open the trail up so I can get to the Cherry.

In my post #16, pic # 3, if you looked to your left that is where these pics were taken.

Attachments

• New Trail
    100_7146.JPG
    263.6 KB · Views: 72
  • New Trail
    100_7147.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 80
  • New Trail
    100_7148.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 81
  • New Trail
    100_7149.JPG