New (used) Harman XXV Owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shank

May 21, 2022
Ohio
Hello all,

New here and just picked up a used Harman XXV. It is a 2006 model. Unfortunately I did not get to test it but the price of $600, I assume it’s worth some potential hassle.

I am going to do a thorough cleaning, plumb it (4” exhaust and cold air) and try it out.

In my previous research it seems these stoves should be able to burn about any pellets and I would like to start stocking up now.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum and congratulations
You bought a very nice stove

Oh wow, nice find, I’ve been keeping my eye out for one to refurbish.
Welcome to the forum and feel free to ask any questions

I had one installed in 2009 and other than replacing the distribution blower it's been maintenance free. It runs very quiet except for the blower noise which is almost unavoidable.

Thank you everyone. Hoping it is a good unit. Really like wood heat on the horrible days, hoping this will put out some decent heat.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Been running Harmon XXV (Non TC) since 2018. It burns anything (Pellets). Even the decomposed ones. I use Aims 1250 Inverter/Charger with 200ah of Battery for power outages, along with Surge Protector. I have 1k Inverter Generator for longer outages (Sportsman). Longest outage was 10 hours. Really puts out the heat. We use about 3.1-3.5 tons yearly. 2500 square foot house. Use couple of box fans with Big Rubber Bands (Garbage Gripper Band) and some 20x20 filters. We use Heat Pump until nighttime is below 30f (Mid Sep). Switch over to HP above 30f (daytime). House is 74f in hallway. Use stub on OAK so the fragile air tubing is not damaged by trim of stove (It can be left off I guess). Make sure you watch the cleaning videos. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...221273D1FB0AF89BBC5D221&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

8892CoyoteTrail01.jpg IMG_20220108_093117169.jpg 20200120_141747.jpg IMG_20210119_064818105.jpg IMG_20210119_064841867.jpg

Reactions: Washed-Up
Been running Harmon XXV (Non TC) since 2018. It burns anything (Pellets). Even the decomposed ones. I use Aims 1250 Inverter/Charger with 200ah of Battery for power outages, along with Surge Protector. I have 1k Inverter Generator for longer outages (Sportsman). Longest outage was 10 hours. Really puts out the heat. We use about 3.1-3.5 tons yearly. 2500 square foot house. Use couple of box fans with Big Rubber Bands (Garbage Gripper Band) and some 20x20 filters. We use Heat Pump until nighttime is below 30f (Mid Sep). Switch over to HP above 30f (daytime). House is 74f in hallway. Use stub on OAK so the fragile air tubing is not damaged by trim of stove (It can be left off I guess). Make sure you watch the cleaning videos. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...221273D1FB0AF89BBC5D221&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

View attachment 298493 View attachment 298494 View attachment 298495 View attachment 298496 View attachment 298497
Thanks for the reply and the ideas.

I currently have a Generac whole house natural gas generator so I am just going to run a surge protector. I have cleaned the stove pretty well by watching some videos. I have some more work to do once I get the hearth done.

Generac PSW? Your Stove is Computer.
That is something I need to check. The current production model states "Superior harmonics and sine wave form produce less than 5% Total Harmonic Distortion for utility quality power"

I run my P43 on a Generac 8Kw whole house generator. I have surge protection on all electronics and everything runs fine.
Ron

Reactions: Shank
Another quick question, I am getting close on my install but am wondering if I went with the incorrect OAK pipe. I bought the duravent pipe which I believe is approx. 2-1/2" OD. I am running it approx. 13'. Will this be an issue?