New user end of season cleaning and summer storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I got a 4" Fernco cap that fits snug over my 3" pipe where it comes out of the house. I'm sure you can find a Fernco cap that fits over whatever size pipe you have. Prior to COVID, the cap cost about $5.00 at Lowes. I disconnect the terminal pieces and put them inside the pellet hopper so that I can't accidentally light the stove while the cap is on!

As others have mentioned, I too use Damprid inside the stove.

20190616_143211.jpg

I got a 4" Fernco cap that fits snug over my 3" pipe where it comes out of the house. I'm sure you can find a Fernco cap that fits over whatever size pipe you have. Prior to COVID, the cap cost about $5.00 at Lowes. I disconnect the terminal pieces and put them inside the pellet hopper so that I can't accidentally light the stove while the cap is on!

View attachment 296550
I might have to get a couple of those for my exhausts. The freezer bags I use look so cheesy and I have to replace the rubber bands several times during the summer since the sunlight breaks them down.

I might have to get a couple of those for my exhausts. The freezer bags I use look so cheesy and I have to replace the rubber bands several times during the summer since the sunlight breaks them down.
I use those plastic zipp ties over the freezer bag..
lot stronger and last all season.

I use those plastic zipp ties over the freezer bag..
lot stronger and last all season.

I would, but I have never remembered to buy any. Then, they are small enough I would lose them, despite placing them somewhere that is both logical and that I couldn't forget ;em

View attachment 296550

I did it, instead of replacing the rubber bands, I remembered to get a couple of 3" caps and they fit the exhausts great. Thanks for the tip @mtnbiker727 !

Reactions: mtnbiker727
I did it, instead of replacing the rubber bands, I remembered to get a couple of 3" caps and they fit the exhausts great. Thanks for the tip @mtnbiker727 !
No problem. Someone on here gave me the idea a couple years ago, so I pass it on every time someone has the same question.

2021 Harman Absolute 43. Our last fire was in April and I'm now getting around to my year end cleaning and summer storage. I can't find any threads on what the recommended steps are for this. Can anyone point me to any threads?

If not, then please comment on what I've done. I don't want there to be an issue in the fall upon re-start.

From the inside of the house; I've scraped, brushed, vacuumed and dry ragged all of the ash that I could out of the inside of the stove. Removed the igniter cover and brushed and vacuumed that out. Removed the exhaust fan cover and brushed the fan and ran the stainless steel bristle brush up the exhaust then vacuumed it.

From the outside; I've run a 4" Sooteater from my cleanout tee in toward the stove and vacuumed it out. Run the 4" Sooteater from my cleanout tee up to my termination cap and vacuumed it out.

I have a very tight, well insulated house with an air exchanger and live within 3 miles of the ocean. Should I cover my termination cap with a plastic bag to keep the humidity out? Should I disconnect or cover my fresh air intake to keep the humidity out?

I've read people use WD40, fogging oil, Fluid Film and/or DampRip inside of their stove. What are the pros and cons of using WD40, fogging oil or Fluid Film inside my stove? What size DampRid should I use?
I did not find this out until 3 or 4 years after I had my Absolute 43. There is a fines box in the back of the stove. When I figured this out, I opened it up and it was packed full with fines. I cleaned it out and my auger was quite happy.

Last edited: