new Vapor Fire 100 with very poor heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
that's not what he said but if that is the case that means Im way under
That's way more than any printed numbers that I ever remember seeing for the VF100...

That's way more than any printed numbers that I ever remember seeing for the VF100...
Like I said they had me make changes that I dont think they want me talking about on here so this is where im going to stop. Mines burning hotter then everyone else's.

@JRHAWK9 and I have a pretty good idea what they had you do...with that tiny screwdriver ;) ::-)
But yeah, probably not common knowledge.
I don't think anybody is cranking more BTUs out of their VF100 than what JR is getting out of the SpaceHawk100 ©;lol

@JRHAWK9 and I have a pretty good idea what they had you do...with that tiny screwdriver ;) ::-)
I don't think anybody is cranking more BTUs out of their VF100 than what JR is getting out of the SpaceHawk100 ©;lol
ok so maybe hes wrong but that just means Im worst off then I thought

::P I know nuttin'....no idea what you are talkin' 'bout Willis. ::-) ;)

ok so maybe hes wrong but that just means Im worst off then I thought

The 160K rating of your old furnace was more than likely over exaggerated. The documented rating of the VF100 is actually more on the pessimistic side while the 160K rating on the Yukon was probably way more the optimistic side.

Reactions: brenndatomu
::P I know nuttin'....no idea what you are talkin' 'bout Willis. ::-) ;)

The 160K rating of your old furnace was more than likely over exaggerated. The documented rating of the VF100 is actually more on the pessimistic side while the 160K rating on the Yukon was probably way more the optimistic side.
either way im going to need another stove then. I got about 100k I have to make up for.

I was the one with the Yukon...and it was rated for 112K net...and it was a monster! So yeah, 160 on that Clayton is probably a bit high...and the gross rating too. Got to remember, these old beasts used 8" chimneys...so capable of blowing a buttload of BTUs up the stack! ;lol

I was the one with the Yukon...and it was rated for 112K net...and it was a monster! So yeah, 160 on that Clayton is probably a bit high...and the gross rating too. Got to remember, these old beasts used 8" chimneys...so capable of blowing a buttload of BTUs up the stack! ;lol
Alot of it was going up the stack! My house was very warm then! I need that extra 100k no doubt

$5500...wow, I hope that is with a new chimney installed!

it would double my available btu
Really? What size firebox is that (guess I shoulda looked it up, huh?! ;lol )
Unless that is a monster of a stove, sounds like someone is stretching the numbers.
Keep in mind that the VF100 has a 4.1 CF firebox, and a pretty elaborate heat exchanger (compared to a stove) so I'd say it would take a HUGE free standing stove to equal the VF100 heat output...and the biggest stoves out there still use a 8" chimney too.
Of course when thinking about it a bit more...you are comparing convective heat and direct radiant heat...and that's hard to compare really...

it would double my available btu

Be very careful of believing manufactures rated BTU's, unless you can find the EPA test report.

I'm sorry...I'm just having trouble taking you seriously with that new avatar pic! ;lol

Really? What size firebox is that (guess I shoulda looked it up, huh?! ;lol )
Unless that is a monster of a stove, sounds like someone is stretching the numbers.
Keep in mind that the VF100 has a 4.1 CF firebox, and a pretty elaborate heat exchanger (compared to a stove) so I'd say it would take a HUGE free standing stove to equal the VF100 heat output...and the biggest stoves out there still use a 8" chimney too.
Of course when thinking about it a bit more...you are comparing convective heat and direct radiant heat...and that's hard to compare really...
Same size firebox as the vf100 according to the spec sheet

I had to look for myself...from the brochure it is 3.0 CF, 25% smaller...
1576368005538.png

But either way, it is still a large stove...and the two together should be able to have y'all walking around in your skivvies on even the coldest day of the year! ;lol
If not, you have some serious insulation/air sealing problems! (like you need to close the door to the attic or something!) ;lol

Oh yes sorry I was looking at the bigger one
Ah, yes, the F5200...wow, it is a monster! And does use a 8" chimney! No wonder the price!

Maybe I should go with the biggest one just in case?
Which one was the quote for?
Honestly, unless your blower door test shows some really glaring issues, I bet the F3500 would fit the bill better.
The stove we have in the fireplace is a Drolet 1400i (1.7 CF) and when we still had the Tundra furnace the 1400i was more than enough to put us over the hump when it was "polar vortexing" outside. The Tundra was 3.5 CF and did fine with our 2400 sq ft (1200 basement, 1200 main floor) until it got really cold. Then at that point, running the Tundra, and the 1400i together (just "average" load sizes) would run the house temp up to, or usually above our typically indoor setpoint. So the stove is only about half the size of the Tundra 1.7 vs 3.5...I guess where I'm going is that with the VF100 at 4.1, and the F5200 at 4.4, seems a bit like shooting flies with a bazooka.
Keep in mind too...we went from heating basically 2400 sq ft (I know the basement "doesn't really count") with the Tundra at 3.5 CF and couldn't quite keep up on the worst days, to heating more like 3000 sq ft (added the upper floor of our cape cod style) with the VF100's 4.1 CF and it will keep up on its own...heck, never even had it on high yet (this is the second winter with it)
My point is, a little extra firepower (CF) goes a long ways.

One other thing is that with a stove you have to be able to move the heat around...so unless you feel like your house is open enough to heat the other areas pretty well, the room the stove is in will be about 95, while the other end of the house is 65. Our place is somewhat in the middle as far as moving the heat from the stove...better than a ranch, but not as wide open as a cabin (its the typical center stairwell cape cod type floorplan)...just something to factor in to your decison...

Status
Not open for further replies.