new Vapor Fire 100 with very poor heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't recall -- has the Kuuma been tested with EnviroBricks or the like? Might help to illuminate the situation by ruling out wood-related issues. Maybe the MC meter is bad or being used in a way that makes it read inaccurately?

I know my old HotBlast would easily burn wood that my Tundra chokes on (won't go to secondaries), and I never knew there was an issue with the HB since it never whimpered.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Still doesn't add up. Rated max Kuma output per hour anyone?

I've burned, on back to back to back days last January when it was well below zero.......206lbs, 206lbs and 190lbs of wood. Do the math how you like. I come up with AVERAGING ~45k BTU/hr/day. 1.1+ million BTU's per day.

I've burned, on back to back to back days last January when it was well below zero.......206lbs, 206lbs and 190lbs of wood. Do the math how you like. I come up with AVERAGING ~45k BTU/hr/day. 1.1+ million BTU's per day.
That would imply during the burn the stove would actually be emitting much more than 45k btu/hr, being pretty much in line with any other stove of the same size. We all have to remember that the stove can only put out as much heat as the stove can hold. Firebox volume is the ultimate comparison tool.

Not sure what you are referring to. Yes I agree with your numbers. Looks like 200# works out to roughly 45k per hour.

What doesn't add up to me is how he was able to heat his house with 9 cord with the Clayton if the house is requiring more btu's than the Kuma can produce.

According to the Clayton wood usage numbers the average loss is in the low 30's. It seems like he should be having no issue at these temps with a furnace capible of cranking out the mid 40's. Either something changed in the house or he is not getting near peak output.

Well, according to Google the Clayton 1802g (I don't know which one Gary has, but that one is discontinued and calls for a 8" flue) has a firebox that's over twice the size of the VF100. So between the lower output/smaller firebox (even if it is more even and useful heat in the long run) and insulation issues, I think we can lay this to rest. Until this evening I didn't realize the Clayton was such a massive stove. 9 cords/winter makes a lot more sense when the firebox is 9 Cuft! I could burn my Morso for three days with one load for that beast.

Reactions: gary38532
According to the Clayton wood usage numbers the average loss is in the low 30's. It seems like he should be having no issue at these temps with a furnace capible of cranking out the mid 40's. Either something changed in the house or he is not getting near peak output.
This does make one wonder about wood quality.

Reactions: woodey
Dale said 47 about right?

Well, according to Google the Clayton 1802g (I don't know which one Gary has, but that one is discontinued and calls for a 8" flue) has a firebox that's over twice the size of the VF100. So between the lower output/smaller firebox (even if it is more even and useful heat in the long run) and insulation issues, I think we can lay this to rest. Until this evening I didn't realize the Clayton was such a massive stove. 9 cords/winter makes a lot more sense when the firebox is 9 Cuft! I could burn my Morso for three days with one load for that beast.
Its very big!! I'll post pictures of it. I use to crawl inside of it to change fire brick. I never used the whole fire box just 24 inches of it. My spliter is maxed out at 24! That's how big we are talking. The 1802g is the larger newer one. Mine is the 1800g.

That would imply during the burn the stove would actually be emitting much more than 45k btu/hr

I agree.

We all have to remember that the stove can only put out as much heat as the stove can hold.

....and physically burn. Remember, the Kuuma is a bit different, as it just doesn't hang the primary air open. It keeps the burn regulated for whatever temp you have the computer set to; clean burning is priority numero uno.

Its very big!! I'll post pictures of it. I use to crawl inside of it to change fire brick. I never used the whole fire box just 24 inches of it. My spliter is maxed out at 24! That's how big we are talking. The 1802g is the larger newer one. Mine is the 1800g.
Still, it has much more room for wood assuming you fit as much as you could in There. If I had a firebox like that I'd cut my wood to half the length of the box and double stack.

I agree.

QUOTE="SpaceBus, post: 2406473, member: 62498"]
We all have to remember that the stove can only put out as much heat as the stove can hold.

....and physically burn. Remember, the Kuuma is a bit different, as it just doesn't hang the primary air open. It keeps the burn regulated for whatever temp you have the computer set to; clean burning is priority numero uno.
[/QUOTE]
While yes, I do agree, you can't argue with twice the volume.

Still, it has much more room for wood assuming you fit as much as you could in There. If I had a firebox like that I'd cut my wood to half the length of the box and double stack.
I could have but it was never necessary a round whell barrow was about what I put in every 12 to 8 hours depending on how cold it was

While yes, I do agree, you can't argue with twice the volume.
[/QUOTE]
it is a very clean burn... you should see the inside of my firebox like the day it was built almost

IMAG0601.jpg
IMAG0602.jpg

the fire brick has to be replaced every year... the way its made the wood drops on them and cracks them down the middle like that

it is a very clean burn... you should see the inside of my firebox like the day it was built almost
I bet it is, and I don't dispute you. I'm just seeing now that there is now way the Kuuma could heat Gary's house without significant improvements to his house envelope.

I bet it is, and I don't dispute you. I'm just seeing now that there is now way the Kuuma could heat Gary's house without significant improvements to his house envelope.
I was telling the truth.... haha The clayton had a lot more power. Not sure how much but I know it was more...

On a positive note it's not that bad in here tonight... The VF100 is doing everything she can at the moment... I'll make the changes necessary to make it better. I want the house to be more efficient and dising the Clayton was the first step to that.
Hopefully the cumulative effect of the higher return air temp will get you "over the hump" while you improve the home envelope efficiency.

Hopefully the cumulative effect of the higher return air temp will get you "over the hump" while you improve the home envelope efficiency.
it should they say they heat houses bigger then mine even drafty ones accord to what I'm told

Status
Not open for further replies.