New VC stove problem, clean glass came in handy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eman85

Minister of Fire
Oct 10, 2022
E TN
New problems with my VC stove today. Last burn I did get it hot and clean the glass and luckily it got warm out so the glass stayed clean. I now see the great reason for a clean glass. This morning while drinking coffee the stove came to life all by itself! Damn bird came down the chimney and got into the stove. When I could see him in the box I closed the damper so he was at least trapped in the box. Put a garbage bag over the front and opened the doors, he flew into the bag and I took him out, maybe her, and set it free.
It's a stainless metal chimney with a cap but it got in there. Not the first time.

Reactions: arnermd
Woh. That's crazy. I got the spark arrestor to avoid that and of course sparks. Although the area I live is perpetually wet.
Surprised it didn't get burned from the coals.