New Vermont Castings EB2 Technology

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

STOVEGUY11

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
SOUTHERN CT
Just curious on peoples opinions on Vermont Castings new Everburn 2 Technology (EB2). Is it the way to go? Is it going to confuse people? Is it realistic to even see it for sale this burning season??? Any opinions would be great.

They're still making stoves? Wow, their gas grill business must be carrying them.

Matt

I haven't heard of this. What models will this be showing up on?

information on this?? please what is i?t I searched website and googled nothing any information.

I sure hope it works better than Neverburn 1 technology.

mikepinto65 said:
Couldn't find anything either. Maybe this new stove will incorporate the new technology?

http://www.vermontcastings.com/products.asp?model=merrimack

It would be fitting. The USS Merrimack was sunk to keep it from being captured and used and raised later by the Confederates to be used as an iron clad ram. We know how that worked out too.

I cannot believe they are naming that stove that.

EatenByLimestone said:
I believe it was a river first.

Matt

Good place to throw an Everburn from what most people here say. :lol:

The first model is going to be the defiant, going into production, I heard next week. Then be available to the public late July. Then the Encore would follow. They will be discontinuing the Non-cat, and Catalytic lines completely. This new model will be able to burn as either or. It ships with a metal catalyst, then you have the option to burn with or without it. Just sounds so weird to me!

Let's hope the refractory casting is much more stout this time around.

STOVEGUY11 said:
The first model is going to be the defiant, going into production, I heard next week. Then be available to the public late July. Then the Encore would follow. They will be discontinuing the Non-cat, and Catalytic lines completely. This new model will be able to burn as either or. It ships with a metal catalyst, then you have the option to burn with or without it. Just sounds so weird to me!

The defiant manual has a section which talks about the cat and when you're supposed to engage it and when you're supposed to burn without engaging it. Given how people tend to pan their non-cat stoves (also their cat stoves for the rather opinionated among us) my take on it was I wanted a cat stove or I wanted a jotul. But anyway, the manual for the defiant already talked about when to disengage the cat if you really wanted to rip out some logs, my take on it is this is them saying "Our marketing department decided to name this feature" where "melting the cat" became "everburn 2"!

BeGreen said:
Let's hope the refractory casting is much more stout this time around.

The new refractory is actaully made out of the same material that the cauldrons at the foundry are made of. No more soft refractory of the past catalytic models. The Catalyst is now about half the size and can be taken in or out in a matter of 30 seconds or less.

Great! This sounds like a good step in the right direction. I hope they come up with a winner here. It would be great to see the VC brand regain some traction.

I've been doing a little snooping around to see what the next big thing in wood stove tech is.......it does seem that the hybrid design might have a place in the future.

I think we have to keep this in mind. Cats or fast burning non-cats were the way to go to pass the EPA standards. However, the future is calling for even tighter standards (PM 2.5 plus high efficiency for rebates, tax credits, etc.). It makes sense that designs which use both technologies could be of benefit.

It will be interesting to see the first batch of reports come in this winter.

Yeah, somebody at Woodstock said that burn tubes work better for one stage of the combustion, and a cat for another stage(s), so they're trying a hybrid design for their new stove. VC's reputation has taken a beating lately, but they are still a major player. Maybe the future is hybrid.

Who knows. Maybe somebody will even do something way out there like put realistic instructions in the manuals about how to burn in the things.

Nah. What was I thinking?

Yeah, VC aint dead yet! I hope they keep this new technology simple and don't over engineer the stoves. I can see where cat stoves could be cleaned up in the beginning of the burn and reloads while in the bypass mode and non cats could also benefit from cat technology with cleaner longer burns with less air.

VC has always been a leader in clean burning stoves. If they can return to the durability of the earliest models and get the next gen to work over a broader flue draft range, they may have a winner. I'm hoping they pull it off. It would be great to see them back in the competition.

Any body know how many times VC was bought and sold? I'm gonna guess at least 3x. I wouldnt think there are many people (if any) left from the old crew but its nice to see that its got a chance at a comeback. In its day I'm told it was a great company. It would be cool if they can get some of that back.

So you didn't really say, does EB2 use burn tubes? Or is it simply their everburn 1.0 with a cat stuffed in? Will it use the same flimsy ceramic rear chamber refractory material that falls apart and is cost prohibitive and extremely difficult to replace? I really want to see one of these stoves, are there any Vermont Castings employees in the forum? I wish I could beta test this stove for them.

STOVEGUY11 said:

tradergordo said:
So you didn't really say, does EB2 use burn tubes? Or is it simply their everburn 1.0 with a cat stuffed in? Will it use the same flimsy ceramic rear chamber refractory material that falls apart and is cost prohibitive and extremely difficult to replace? I really want to see one of these stoves, are there any Vermont Castings employees in the forum? I wish I could beta test this stove for them.

STOVEGUY11 said:

No flimsy refractory package. The refractory will be made out of the same material as the fountain assembly and the boot or shoe or whatever you want to call it. Its the same materail that the cauldrons at the factory are made out of. With the new EB2, the fountain and shoe are one piece opposed to two in the everburn1. No more need to take the flue collar off to clean either side of the refractory like in the cat and EB1. Now once you take the cover off the front to access the cat, you can fully reach to the back of the stove for easy cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.