New VG5790 slow Auger feed? Doesnt get real hot at all? Suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Al-B

Bought this for my garage, which is drafty (bad garage door seal) and about 600 sq ft max with 8 ft cieling.

I fired it up and on any setting the flame gets big when the burn pot has pellets, but after like 5 minutes the pellets burn faster than the feed can keep up? So the flame gets huge, hot then it all burns out of the pot until it starts dropping more pellets. Once it gets about 1/4 of the pot filled, it starts burning great again then burns them down and basically I have a no flame situation every 4-5 minutes over and over.

Im using pellets I bought at Home Depot, if that matters?

Is there an auger feed adjustment I can make on this? Burn pot NEVER gets more than maybe 1/4 way full when flame is good on any manual setting 1 thru 5?

I have a tech call & txt in but no return yet

This think should cook that garage space...right?

I searched thru 5790 post and didnt see anything like this..most said its too hot!

Tech support got back to me.

This unit has no hidden menu for changing parameters.
However my exhaust path seems to be the issue...I have 3 in dbl wall running up to 6 ft then I adapt to a previous 6" wood stove pipe that continues up thru the roof.

Tech said I need back pressure of all 3" pipe for system to up pellet feed rate..so we'll see ..ordering tonight.

Tech support got back to me.

This unit has no hidden menu for changing parameters.
However my exhaust path seems to be the issue...I have 3 in dbl wall running up to 6 ft then I adapt to a previous 6" wood stove pipe that continues up thru the roof.

Tech said I need back pressure of all 3" pipe for system to up pellet feed rate..so we'll see ..ordering tonight.
And i have issue with getting too hot with the feed rate at 1 bar. I am waiting to tech me and my position. I am running a 3" pipe out out the wall about 30" using the fresh air kit from outside. It is shut down to about 1/4" Maybe someone can help me.

I have the little sibling the 5790 which uses the same board and many of the same parts. Yes there is no adjustment besides the damper. After burning down the mass at startup, mine never maintains a pot that full. Honestly you can usually see the floor of the pot. If it’s burning them up faster than they come then I’d give it less air. Also my experience along with others I’ve read is these stoves burn best with full hardwood pellets. Do you have a lot of very long pellets in your bags? That could slow down the intended feed rate. A flame that goes up for awhile then back down for awhile is normal to me. True either of our stoves should cook a 600 sq ft room but being a drafty garage it’s hard telling. I can’t comment on the pellet chimney in a woodstove pipe as I have no experience trying that.

I Have 7’ of duravent 4” from the stove to a 6” woodstove class A chimney that is also about 7’ - 8’ and have never had an issue. Good draft is needed not back pressure. I think minor adjustments to the damper and try some diff pellets will help getting a good burn.

I Have 7’ of duravent 4” from the stove to a 6” woodstove class A chimney that is also about 7’ - 8’ and have never had an issue. Good draft is needed not back pressure. I think minor adjustments to the damper and try some diff pellets will help getting a good burn.

I agree! I separated the pipes and put a piece of metal tape accross the width covering half the 3" dia to provide some blockage and put it back together and ran the stove...No difference at all..
There is a vacume switch inside the stove connected to the burnbox, if no vacume is felt the blower wont run. That is the only pressure sensor in the entire stove to sense any flow changes....Im about to take this back and get my $$ back from Tractor supply...Its ashame cause if it worked, it could make that garage Toasty

Today was high of 45 degrees and the stove never got hotter than 51 degrees IAW its side panel temp readout...

HR ON Off
1 1.8 sec 6 sec.
2 3.0 sec 4.5 sec
3 3.5 sec 3.0 sec
4 5.0 sec 3.0 sec
5 6.0 sec 3.0 sec

Here are the auger timings that have been posted here before for the various heat ranges. I would check this out. Pull or open a panel . Watch the auger motor and auger connection and see if these settings are in the ballpark. If they are pretty close then I’d say it’s something with your pellets. But if the auger motor doesn’t even come close to these settings then it’s possible the board is bad.

Another thing you can try if your stove can’t get enough air is disconnect the exhaust blower wiring at the blower. Connect the blower directly to a wall outlet with a lamp cord. This will force the blower on high and if there’s an issue with the board not running the blower fast enough this will determine that or rule that out.

Last edited:
HR ON Off
1 1.8 sec 6 sec.
2 3.0 sec 4.5 sec
3 3.5 sec 3.0 sec
4 5.0 sec 3.0 sec
5 6.0 sec 3.0 sec

Here are the auger timings that have been posted here before for the various heat ranges. I would check this out. Pull or open a panel . Watch the auger motor and auger connection and see if these settings are in the ballpark. If they are pretty close then I’d say it’s something with your pellets. But if the auger motor doesn’t even come close to these settings then it’s possible the board is bad.

Another thing you can try if your stove can’t get enough air is disconnect the exhaust blower wiring at the blower. Connect the blower directly to a wall outlet with a lamp cord. This will force the blower on high and if there’s an issue with the board not running the blower fast enough this will determine that or rule that out.

YEA ON ALL MY SETTINGS 1-5 MY AUGER RUN TIME BEFORE PAUSE IS 7 SECS and it still flames down till it drops again? I thought about wiring it up with 120 to the auger on a different timer but Heck, its new and it isnt working right and my garage is cold! Done with it!

Ive decided Im returning this stove to Tractor Supply..it was a great deal $599 list $1500 but Customer support for USSTOVE Sux!

Im buying the HP22 50,000 BTU by Comfortbilt

Reviews are great and customer support is exc with the owner returning calls or emails frequently and apparently its US made? or at least US supported

I have a new 5790 that feeds too much and I have too shut it down because it is too hot. The dampner is all but shut down. Was told by tech support that the thermostat mode does not work until the feed rate reaches 2 bars. But that is better then being cold. I need a auger motor that would be 10-15% slower. It is hard to talk to the US Stove people, they want to text it through it. UGH.