New wedges! (A Photo Essay, Because Everyone Likes Pictures.)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jetsam

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2015
Long Island, NY
youtu.be
SO... I have some rounds that most sane people would file under 'leave that one in the woods'. It was 60 today(!), and I want to get rid of this unfinished business, so I decided to break one up.

As there was no way this thing was going in the splitter, and sawing it up looked to be a bit of a project, I decided to sledge'n'wedge it in half to get the ball rolling. It quickly ate all four of my wedges, so I had to go get more. Luckily, I found a local source that had extra-large ones...

Image-836132391.jpg

Image-419514720.jpg

Victory! WoodWedge2000 is a success. Dolmar 6400 in its victory pose, as if it helped, for scale.

Image509545400.jpg

So I split up the easy part of the small half on the ground...
Image7145870.jpg

At this point I realized that a wheelbarrow wasn't going to be sufficient.

Image-1158210163.jpg

I got the small half of that big honking round split up and called it a victory as the light faded. Here's what it looks like split:

Image927993444.jpg

...Because Everyone needs a hobby, that's why!

Attachments

• Image1864685292.jpg
    Image1864685292.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 191
  • Image-423036975.jpg
    Image-423036975.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 200
  • Image1945143363.jpg
    Image1945143363.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 206
And you couldn't put that in the splitter because....??

big wood is hard on da back

It didn't look that long to me. I used to just work the sides and keep turning it.

One of the few times sub-zero temperatures are appreciated ... far easier to split difficult wood when it is frozen:)

One of the few times sub-zero temperatures are appreciated ... far easier to split difficult wood when it is frozen:)

I agree Lake Girl! It's cold in Wisconsin and the wood is flying apart - the saws are running awesome in this weather!! I really like being in the woods this time of year...

jetsam - great pics, those are some awesome chunks!

I remember splitting elm as a kid- when it was -20 or so, I would always stay out just as long as I could, because the splitting gods were finally on my side FOR ONCE on those days. ;)

(With elm, the splitting gods do tend to frown upon most of your endeavours. :/. )

Have to chuckle... it's snowing today and the temperature is a bit warmer than yesterday. Warms up to snow!!! In my immediate locale, the woods are no longer as quiet as they used to be. Sound carries well and, with a new mine going in about 20 miles away, you can hear the constant rumble of the extremely large machines they use there... Not horribly intrusive but a change.

For cutting/splitting wood, colder temps would be preferable to extremes of heat in the summer. Too cold is no fun either though.

Our weather here on Long Island is pretty crazy. We are getting 20 degree nights, 50 degree days, snow one day and spring sunshine and temperatures the next... I enjoy warmer weather, but I bet it's playing hell with all.the plants that evolved back when we had 4 seasons.

Image-1505376829.jpg

(January 2 dandelions.)