New Wood Burner Here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekinRockfordMI

May 2, 2014
Rockford, MI
Really enjoy this forum. Just got through a pretty significant remodel, centered around my dream of having a cast iron wood burning stove, and a rustic mantel.

The mantel came from a 100+ year old white oak I had to take down. Found an awesome 80 year old portable sawmiller, and together we sliced and diced boards and mantel pieces (which I have quite a few left if anyone is interested).

I have had a few late Spring fires, and am in love w/ my Isle Royale!!!

Thanks for all the advice and know how, it served me well during my stove selection!

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jaychino415
Welcome and glad you finally signed up. Info is what the place is all about and you found it.

Get ready for a bunch of questions about what that floor is made of.

What's the floor made of?

Welcome to the forums, Derek. Rick

Great job...beautiful.

Welcome to the forum and the Isle Royale Club. The stove and room look beautiful.

That's a beautiful setup. I love the rustic mantel as well, especially b/c of the story behind it. Well done Sir

Well done! That is a beautiful stove in a great setting.

That is looking good! Very nice corner install with the concrete floor and the rock. I like the home made mantel.
The pic on the left is of my fireplace, it has a mantel that I made from an oak tree with my chainsaw.

I have read a lot of good things on this forum in the few months I have been on here about the Isle Royale. I am still planning on getting my first choice, the Jotul 500, but the Isle Royale is second on my list. I looked an Isle Royale at the dealer in Asheville and it is a good looking wood stove. Nice big fire box.

Last edited:
Love the floor, love the stove. Very cool mantel. Our mantel came with the house (was installed in it in 1962 when the house was built), one solid piece of red oak, 10" thick, 18" deep, 8 feet wide. If something ever happened to it, I don't know that it could be replaced.

Did you do the floor yourself? I need ideas for a new hearth for my Ideal Steel (we have concrete under the carpet/tile downstairs). This could be just the ticket.

The new construction was slab on grade, and to further keep costs down I had the concrete smoothed (almost polished), and yes, I did the acid staining myself. Fir about 700 sq fr, cost me less than $400 in materials to get it done (including the acid stain , clear coat and all the other stuff involved. I figure if I don't like it in s few years, can always carpet :)

Last edited:
The new construction was slab on grade, and to further keep costs down I had the concrete smoothed (almost polished), and yes, I did the acid staining myself. Fir about 700 sq fr, cost me less than $400 in materials to get it done (including the acid stain , clear coat and all the other stuff involved. I figure if I don't like it in s few years, can always carpet :)
I appreciate the reply.......I will look into it. We were going to do tile for our new hearth, but I may show the wife your floor and see what she thinks........

Status
Not open for further replies.