New wood stove is too tall for current set up!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jct1983

Nov 27, 2021
Nova Scotia
New here and hoping someone can give me some insight.

Moved into s new home that previously had a wood stove - it was piped through the back through a brick hearth up the chimney. Before we moved in that Woodstove broke and so they previous owners bought a new one, but did not have it installed.

Now we are looking to get this one installed on come to find out that it is much bigger than the previous stove and the pipe on the back of the new one is roughly 6-7" taller than the existing pipe to in the hearth.

I am thinking we can't elbow it down without losing draw and causing build up - or am I wrong here?

Would we need to rebuild the hearth?

Or am I stuck with this gorgeous wood stove I now need to replace?

You are correct, smoke doesn't like to go downhill. Can you post some pictures of the current setup? There may be a solution. What make and model is the new stove?

Reactions: MR. GLO
sorry for the delay! here are a few pictures of the set up, as well as the back of the new stove (Drolet Cape Town 1800)

20211129_183443.jpg20211129_183621.jpg20211129_183454.jpg

Thanks that's helpful. I see now that the centerline for the stove's flue collar is 26 3/4" and I don't see a short leg kit for the stove. It looks like the centerline for the existing flue is around 24", is that correct? If so, it's not far off. This may take cutting out the thimble and locating it a little higher. Is there a stainless liner in the chimney or is this a clay thimble?

I see this stove needs R=1.0 hearth protection. How is the hearth constructed? What is underneath the slate tile?

How was the brick work constructed? Was this previously a masonry fireplace or is this a brick veneer over wood stud framing?