New wood Stove recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ant428

Jan 13, 2023
New York
Hello all. I am looking to replace my VC Dauntless. I cannot take it anymore with having to babysit the stove. Constant issues. I was looking at the Jotul F45 V2 Greenville or the Oslo 500 V3. The F45 is non cat and the Oslo 500 V3 has a cat. I'm attracted to the non cat stove. Any thoughts? They will come out to similar price because of the 30% tax credit on the Oslo.
I also like how the F45 doesn't have an ash try. One less thing that could go wrong. Any ideas towards this would be greatly appreciated.

I would go with the F45. Simple stove, it works well and will provide good heat. The size of the stoves are different though, what are your requirements?

Reactions: EbS-P
2000sq ft house. I know the F45 will be enough heat. The dauntless heated good when it was running properly. I just want a safe easy to use stove. The Oslo is beautiful though

2000sq ft house. I know the F45 will be enough heat. The dauntless heated good when it was running properly. I just want a safe easy to use stove. The Oslo is beautiful though
You may want to research the Oslo here as I agree it’s a nice looking stove but there have been issues with it.

F45, based on all that's been reported here on both models.

The F500 is to be avoided, at least until Jotul improves the design. Not because it's a cat stove, we all know there are cat stoves that will outperform any non-cat in several aspects, but because it's a poorly-implemented one.

Check out the Pacific Energy T5/6. It’s comparable to the F45/55. Simpler in design.

Describe the home and the flue setup. How many stories? What floor is the stove located on? How tall is the flue system? Is it 6"?

I don’t blame you for changing stoves. I’ve been reading some of the VC threads here and those guys are pulling their hair out trying to figure out those down draft stoves.

You won’t be disappointed with the F45, it’s been great for me. Easy operation, long burns, clean glass and great control .

Reactions: bikedennis
Are you dedicated to non cat? My Kuma has been anything but finicky to run and most here have said the same. Don't see obscenely long burns with it but other than that its been great.

Are you dedicated to non cat? My Kuma has been anything but finicky to run and most here have said the same. Don't see obscenely long burns with it but other than that its been great.
Kumas are definitely good stoves but esthetically nothing like the stoves he is looking at.

The Ashford is another one to look at but I don't think you will be disappointed at all with the 45

Reactions: Ashful
Kumas are definitely good stoves but esthetically nothing like the stoves he is looking at.

The Ashford is another one to look at but I don't think you will be disappointed at all with the 45
Agreed, pretty plain to look at. But the glass stays so clean I usually focus more on the fire haha.