New Wood Stove (the classic is retired)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy_dan

Hearth Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Missouri
Well I wanted an Englander 30, but no body had one local. (sorry Mike and Corie)
So I had to settle on my 2nd choice a Pacific Energy Summit.
The camera is DOA the batters are dead so I will add Pictures when I get some new batteries.
Anyway it is Black, Black Door, Black legs, and No Ash System. All for $1,919 after tax.
Put it in today and the old Earth Stove has been banished to the shed.
These things are definitely WAY different than the older stoves, Even for a seasoned burner like me.
Hopefully this one will last as long as my old Earth Stove.

Congratulations Dan. Hope you have a lot of good warm years with the new stove.

OK now I have a question. How much draft does it take to draw air through the little gaps around the bottom cover on a P.E. Summit?
I am guessing that I have real good draft as I warmed the house up after in stalling the stove today and figured out about 20 min ago that I did not remove the air supply knock out in the bottom cover.
Oops oh well the glass is still clean but it is really throeing the heat now that it can breath. The part that surprised me was that even the secondaries were burning with the air knock out still in place.
The worst part of it was it had a Big Blue sticker on it that said "Remove for Room Air" guess that I missed that part.

lessons learned
1. My chimney has a very good draft
2. I am obviously blind
3. I am obviously illiterate
4. Read the destructions

Congrats Dan, I don't think you'll regret the Summit. Interestingly enough, I recall that when my Summit insert was installed, I asked about removing that metal cover and my installer told me that he didn't feel it made a huge difference. This guy does all the P.E. stuff in town, and I've never heard a complaint against him. I insisted we remove it anyway so I guess I'll never know.

Ok, time to renew that avatar, dump the smoke dragon and show that Summit proudly ;)
Let the peasants know what they are missing ;)
LMAO

What size a place are you heating there in MO?

That explains the heat wave today. Keep us informed how you like it compared to the old stove.

Hogwildz said:
Ok, time to renew that avatar, dump the smoke dragon and show that Summit proudly ;)
Let the peasants know what they are missing ;)
LMAO

hey now no bashing my baby she did not smoke that much only on start up and refuel every 3 hours
I will as soon as I remember to get batteries at the store

I am heating 1700 sq ft 2 story old farm house started in 1856 as a 1 room log cabin been added on to 7 times.

so far I am not impressed it doesn't seem to put out the heat my old stove did, But I have only been burning it 3 days
I believe it is the operator steep learning curve even for us well seasoned wood burners.
oh yeah before anybody blames the wood unless oak and hickory that has been cut split and stacked for 1 year outside exposed to full sun and wind then moved in to the shed on pallets for another full year is not properly seasoned. My glass is very clean I have not had to clean it once which points to dry seasoned wood I think.
I am open to any tips on operating this thing.

Chimney setup ? height ?

Get a stove top thermo and tell us what your temperatures are.

You will not feel that intense radiant heat like and unbricked steel stove.

Now that the break in fires are done...get it up to 600-700 stovetop and put your swimtrunks on.

yes I watched the video

The chimney is 16' 10 1/2" strait up off the stove top. it is adjustable length Simpson DVL (double wall) inside and 12' of Supervent class A outside
Cannot find a thermometer local so I am having to order one.
My old stove was fire brick lined as well, but had no side heat shields.

I believe that I just saw the problem possibly I turned the fan on that blows air across my stove and noticed some smoke coming out of the joint between my stove top adapter and my stove so when it cools down I will be doing something different never had that happen before with the old stove if smoke can get out then air can get in and reduce the draw through the stove.

I am going to switch from a double wall adapter to a single wall adapter so I can see when it is seated properly as I am not using the DVL for clearance purposes anyway.
What do you guys think?

The stove pipe adaptors can be a REAL PITA. I had a leak there too...sealed the heck out of it when I reinstalled it. Some people don't even use them. I know with Excel doublewall the collar on the summit will fit nice and tight inbetween the inner and outer pipe. If I ever have to remove my stovepipe adapter again I will trash it and just sit the DW stovepipe right on the collar.

will post pics in a little bit when the fire gets going just got home from work, shoveled ash, evened out the coals, loaded it, and it is just kicking off.

I bought an adjustable elbow it seals better on the stove and the adapter it was a hmm the stove is cold let me see if this helps moment.
If it does then I will get some help and move that beast to the right spot and make a permanent fix.

also I must retract my statements about it not feeling like it putting as much heat out as my old stove it was 20 with the wind ripping about 30 MPH and it was about 78 in the house at 3:30 pm after tossing in 4 smaller splits at noon and it was still going strong. When the wife got home at 5:00 PM she said it was still about 80 in the house and it was still going strong, sure beats the fill it up at noon, 3:00, 6:00, 9:00, shovel it out at about 4:00 AM & hope there is enough coals to get a new fire started etc you get the picture. Well I was hoping for at least a 5 hour between loading and it looks like I got it.

hmm avatar being picky

success my avatar has changed

Just an update thermometer is reading 0 F wind is howling about 20MPH and it is 75 F in house never could do that with my old Earth Stove.
The Summit might just be an alright stove after all. as a side note still have yet to clean the glass on day 5-6 and still the glass remains clean I'm impressed as my F.I.L. has to clean his daily on his Lopi Answer. Might have to throw in some green stuff and turn the air down so I can clean the glass LOL

Edited to add
Is this steam I see coming out of my chimney clear going up less than a foot then turning white then disappearing before it reaches 10 feet, have to watch between the gusts of wind?

I lucked out 7-8 years ago and bought a PE on a whim. I was lookin for a basic stove and the stove salesman had the PE on leftover sale. Little more than I wanted to spend but I have never regretted it since. Its up in the garage (butcher shop, hatchery, guy-getaway building). That building is 38x28x10 and that stove will heat it from 40-45 to 70-75 in a couple hours (lots of thermal mass to heat). I had to vacuum it out this year the top draft area over the firebox was full of ash is there a lower draft area I should be cleaning out? Congrtats on your new PE I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I have a friend who just put in a new Summit two weeks ago. Long time experienced wood burner. He wasn't too impressed with the heat output. I told him of the many happy, no, wildly enthusiastic, PE owners. He just found out about the knock out plate and that has helped. I'm going to review some of the PE posts for him. BTW, he bought his PE at same place we looked at some. I liked what I heard about them and probably would have gone that way - but wife didn't like the looks - so no go. Glad she didn't use the same logic when choosing a husband!

I love a happy ending. Sounds like the stove is breaking you in right Dan. ;-)

Now I have a new problem I can not get the glass dirty (dang this 2 year old oak) I feel I am missing out on cleaning it. I guess I will have to fill it up with green wood then kill the air so I can clean it LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.