New Woodstock Progress Combustor with gasket and vinegar bath

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
I see the latest Woodstock Progress Cat comes with a pre-wrapped gasket. Has anybody done a vinegar bath on this unit and if so does it mess up the gasket? I imagine its attached with adhesive.

Do the new welded-on tabs really make life easier? Now you can't reverse the cat every so often in the stove. I never had a problem removing/installing the old cat so I'm not sure why they added the tabs.

I see the latest Woodstock Progress Cat comes with a pre-wrapped gasket. Has anybody done a vinegar bath on this unit and if so does it mess up the gasket? I imagine its attached with adhesive.

Do the new welded-on tabs really make life easier? Now you can't reverse the cat every so often in the stove. I never had a problem removing/installing the old cat so I'm not sure why they added the tabs.
The gasket is not "attached" to the cat. It lays on top and around the sides to make a seal. It is a MUCH BETTER setup than the original. No issue whatsoever with the vinegar bath since the gasket is not attached. Regarding the tabs, their alright but not necessary....

Reactions: au2183
Thanks, good to know. I did not realize the gasket was removable.

I just did a bath last week. What a difference! Especially because the wood I'm burning right now is a little iffy. I have the latest model PH.