new woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Check with your local codes and insurance company to see if it's legal and you're covered. It's usually not.

Brian VT said:
Check with your local codes and insurance company to see if it's legal and you're covered. It's usually not.

Brian VT said:

x3 - lots of flammable things in there. I once had a friend who was working on his mustang in a barn (think garage for these purposes). He had a kerosene heater (think stove) at one end and was working on the fuel line. You can figure out what happened from there.

The funny part was he didn't want to lose his car so he hopped in (while it was burning) and threw it in reverse, blasting through the barn doors and into the yard. The car was singed but the barn burned down. :bug: Moral of the story: fire and flammable liquids/vapors don't mix well

and no, I wasn't with him at the time...;)

NFPA 211 forbids the installation of solid fuel-burning appliances in any garage in no uncertain terms. But then, NFPA 211 is a standard, not a law or a code. But then, local Authorities Having Jurisdiction all over North America have typically adopted the provisions of NFPA 211 into their statutes...but not all. I understand there are localities where such installations are permitted. Best to check with whoever it is in your area (Building Permitting Authority, Fire Marshall, whoever it may be), as well as with your Homeowner's Insurance carrier. IF you decide it's wise to proceed, then give us more info about the space you want to heat, and we'll be all over helping you pick out an appropriate appliance. Rick

My (not too smart) neighbor has a Plymouth Fury in his yard that used to be in the garage (with a woodstove).
Apparently the stove went nuclear and burnt all the paint off the rear of the car. I'm suprised the gas tank didn't go up.
I lmao every time I drive by.

This thread makes me wonder... I have a shed with a wood burner in it. It was already installed when I started renting the property. Is this a code violation?

karri0n said:
This thread makes me wonder... I have a shed with a wood burner in it. It was already installed when I started renting the property. Is this a code violation?

Depends on if flammables are stored in the shed (e.g. if it's acting like a garage). I know a guy who has a shed with a wood stove that he's turned into a decent man-cave, and the occasional "flammables" (i.e. hard-likker) that enter surely aren't stored for long, so as far as I know he's compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.