Newbie 1st install first year burning wood I have questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
View attachment 250505
You will also need to use 8" not 6. Those stoves do ok on 6" with a decent height chimney but yours looks like to will probably be very short. I honestly don't know how they could get to 4k in materials just for that chimney
Thank you for all the help I will start trying to find an 8 inch kit for the wall and some 8 inch galvanized double wall.The place I called the price was too steep IDK how they got that either but I couldn't afford it.

View attachment 250505

Thank you for all the help I will start trying to find an 8 inch kit for the wall and some 8 inch galvanized double wall.The place I called the price was too steep IDK how they got that either but I couldn't afford it.
The through the wall kit and your chimney pipe all need to be the same stuff

Is there a Menards in your area? They have fairly low chimney pipe pricing.

There's a menards about 50 miles from me I will check them out.Thank you and bholler for all your, help sorry for anyone I've forgotten to thank I can only see the last 5 posts in this screen. But I now feel I can safely and affordably plumb this thing, which was my goal.I still have back plate/ heatshield questions but hey 1 step at a time.thanks again.

There's a menards about 50 miles from me I will check them out.Thank you and bholler for all your, help sorry for anyone I've forgotten to thank I can only see the last 5 posts in this screen. But I now feel I can safely and affordably plumb this thing, which was my goal.I still have back plate/ heatshield questions but hey 1 step at a time.thanks again.
For the heat shield just get a bag of copper pipe connectors to use as spacers run your screws through them. A couple steel studs laid flat on the wall work well also

Thanks everybody.Well I have more questions but so glad I joined this forum saw another single wall install down the street from me, that's really why I joined because I didn't want to monkey see monkey do install this stove.Anyway you guys were right on,menards is really reasonable on the pipes and kits.My concern now is you said first elbow needs to be 14 inches fro the top of the stove I'll just run it as high up as I can,whatever is safe, so how far down from the ceiling do I need to be, and should I put a heat shield between the pipe and the ceiling? Everyone where I live is on 20 acres or more by law and there is tons of galvanized barn metal down here is that suitable for my heat Shields? I do use single wall inside right? Double wall outside is sufficient?Becauses I am seeing there is triple wall stuff also.Can I just screw some metal studs to my existing wall crosswise then screw my barn metal to that and it won't transfer heat to my drywall? After pricing what I have so far at Menards I think the company I called must have been pricing me a one size fits all type kit they didn't ask for a picture, I don't see how I could even spend a thousand buying the pieces I need.Again thanks for all the help. P.S. FWIW 2 places have burnt down down here from wood stove chimney fires in the last 14 years That's why I have all the questions.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody.Well I have more questions but so glad I joined this forum saw another single wall install down the street from me, that's really why I joined because I didn't want to monkey see monkey do install this stove.Anyway you guys were right on,menards is really reasonable on the pipes and kits.My concern now is you said first elbow needs to be 14 inches fro the top of the stove I'll just run it as high up as I can,whatever is safe, so how far down from the ceiling do I need to be, and should I put a heat shield between the pipe and the ceiling? Everyone where I live is on 20 acres or more by law and there is tons of galvanized barn metal down here is that suitable for my heat Shields? I do use single wall inside right? Double wall outside is sufficient?Becauses I am seeing there is triple wall stuff also.Can I just screw some metal studs to my existing wall crosswise then screw my barn metal to that and it won't transfer heat to my drywall? After pricing what I have so far at Menards I think the company I called must have been pricing me a one size fits all type kit they didn't ask for a picture, I don't see how I could even spend a thousand buying the pieces I need.Again thanks for all the help. P.S. FWIW 2 places have burnt down down here from wood stove chimney fires in the last 14 years That's why I have all the questions.
The metal studs need to be attached vertically to allow cooling air to circulate behind the metal. You also need a gap at the bottom and top.

The single wall stove pipe needs to be 18" from combustibles.

Here is some info on making a proper wall shield. The barn metal will be ok.