Newbie: Drolet eco 65

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cvv43

Jul 26, 2016
peterborough ontario
This might be a stupid question. I'm about to purchase a used drolet eco 65 to heat my single level 1300 sq ft home. There is a crawl space underneath and I would like to run a (flue?) through the floor t keep the pipes from freezing and to warm the floor a bit. I know heat rises so I'm curious to know if this will even work.

thanks guys

Welcome to the forum. Flue (exhaust vent) wouldn't work as most stoves need to be horizontal and/or vertical. Likely not a safe option either.

Are you meaning a heat duct as the eco 65 can be ducted? The crawl space would need exterior wall insulation.

If you can insulate the crawl space well, that is your first priority. Pay extra attention to your transition areas (rim joists and ground/skirting). Vapour barrier is important to keep air infiltration from the wind to a minimum. How much area under the house? If you can't insulate from the underside, I think I would use rigid foam outside that can be painted ... water based paint only! When the snow hits the ground, use it to bank around the house for added insulation!

there's about 1200 sq feet under the house but I cant get underneath. only in a small area to access bathroom piping and such. otherwise its too shallow to crawl underneath and insulate. I'll look into some foam for the outside of the house, adding the snow is a great idea. hopefully there is enough of it this winter to do that. Thanks!

Insulating from the underside is a pain I know firsthand as I did ours... Hubby just doesn't fit in many areas. If you are on rock, spray foam can help fill those little voids.

Or just insulate the plumbing that you are trying to protect. Heat tape too.

Status
Not open for further replies.