Newbie fireplace screen question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

haus

Mar 19, 2017
NJ
I recently purchased a home with a masonry fireplace and this is a whole new world for me. I ordered a screen with doors online and it was advertised as being 31" tall. I thought that this would be a great fit for my fireplace, which is 30" tall. However, it turns out that the screen is only 29" tall in reality, leaving a 1" gap at the top of the fireplace. I was wondering, is this commonplace for some functional reason (i.e. Airflow)? Is it safe to have that gap or should I just return this screen and get a new one that completely covers the opening of the firebox? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

If the fireplace is for heat, you should return it and read up on fireplace inserts.

If you juat want it to be cosmetic, make sure your flue is clean and intact, the damper works properly, make sure there's no flammables in front of the hearth, and at that point I wouldn't worry about the 1" gap.

Be aware that an open fireplace is a big hole in your house that warm air rushes out of, and lighting a fire in it makes it worse rather than better.