Newbie here, and a stack photo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PDXpyro

Burning Hunk
Oct 10, 2013
NW Oregon
Hi, all-- this is my second post here; the first one was just a few minutes ago in the "Hearth Room" forum. Just wanted to throw in a stack photo to get the hang of things... I haven't seen any other piles quite like mine as (hopefully) pictured: the stack is covered with plywood sheets ripped into 2' lengthwise strips, arranged in a wide V shape, with the ends overlapping at the bottom.

The lower overlapped end is "guttered" with a split section of 4" ABS pipe, sloped to drain runoff to the opposite side of the stack as seen from this viewpoint, and that runoff then falls onto a piece of 1x12 laid against the side of the stack to direct splash away from the wood. I've built several piles in this fashion, and it works well. I Photoshopped in a white arrow indicating where the ABS gutter is in the picture.

Anyway, glad to finally be a member here, and I look forward to much more geeky discussion of this strangely addictive obsession.

Attachments

• Firewood.jpg
    Firewood.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 368
Wow, a lot of thought went into directing the runoff....now what happens when you start taking wood from the pile, and all those angles change....rebuild ??

I like your stacks if you know what I mean.
What the cedar looking post there on the end is it an old close line post?

Good idea for run off. Is that wood ready to burn? Welcome to the forum PDX.

Welcome to the forum PXDpyro.

That is an interesting way to stack wood. Still, it seem to me that it would be better and easier to stack with the center high or one end high. With the center low, that could catch anything that falls and possibly screw things up a bit. Guess I am still in the KISS crowd. Keeping it simple works great with less problems in most instances.

Reactions: Billybonfire
I lie the flower box ;)

Welcome to the forums !

Reactions: PDXpyro
Wood looks nice and dry ! Welcome to the forum . Now get out there and make few more !

Welcome. Nice looking stack. I tend to try to keep simpler like Dennis mentioned.
That is an interesting way to stack wood. Still, it seem to me that it would be better and easier to stack with the center high or one end high. With the center low, that could catch anything that falls and possibly screw things up a bit. Guess I am still in the KISS crowd. Keeping it simple works great with less problems in most instances.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Good idea for run off. Is that wood ready to burn? Welcome to the forum PDX.
This wood is about 12-18 months old, a mix of several hardwoods, and I'll break up the whole stack around the first of the year and move it to an active-burning/storage spot.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Wood looks nice and dry ! Welcome to the forum . Now get out there and make few more !
A few more? Damn, the whole problem here is that I'm running out of logical and manageable spots to stack more wood!

Welcome to the forum. I like your safe passage rock stack. You must be from the North.;)
From the North-- yep, born and raised in Alaska! Moved to the tropical PNW three decades ago, though.

Wow, a lot of thought went into directing the runoff....now what happens when you start taking wood from the pile, and all those angles change....rebuild ??
Yes, the whole stack will come down around the first of the year, when most of the wood will be pushing 2 years old. Then fresh stuff will take its place...

Welcome. Nice looking stack. I tend to try to keep simpler like Dennis mentioned.
I like your stacks if you know what I mean.
What the cedar looking post there on the end is it an old close line post?
The post on the right end is doug fir; I bought a bunch of 4"x6" by 4' pieces like this for about a buck apiece from a guy who works at a mill where they produce them for heavy-duty pallets. It's barely buried in the soil and stays mostly dry; should last for many years in this situation.

The stuff I bought from the mill dude is actually their rejected pieces, which tend to have very pitchy faults running through their length. I drive long deck screws through to reinforce the weak points, and they've been great, very cheap material for garden bed building and other uses such as pictured.

As I said, newbie here, and I'm just starting to get a handle on how the answers to new postings are sorted. I hit the "unlike" button by mistake a couple of times when responding to responses just now-- what does that mean? Don't want to make any enemies quite yet... hah! So, apologies if that matters. Also, I've noticed in several firewood forums that a lot of people *hate* to stack wood. --Huh? I love stacking, and regard it as a good way to waste time productively, and as a sort of low-rent architectural challenge. Anyway, glad to be here.

That just means if you have "Liked" someone's post, if you hit "Unlike" then your like is deleted.

I'm with you in that I don't mind the stacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.