Newbie here --- used or new?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brandytab

Dec 10, 2007
Upstate NY
Hi all!

Great resource! That said, we have decided to purchase a pellet stove, at this point we're trying to decide whether to buy a used stove (there are a few for sale locally that originally went for 3-4K, Harman, Enviro, etc.) or spend the same amount on a new Englander at Home Depot. Any thoughts?

We have about 1600 sqft total, with the primary living area being an open plan (one big rectangle includes kit/din area/family room). The stairway going upstairs is open so heat should flow nicely up - master is on first floor and opens into the family room. Ceilings are 7'5" max, as the house is an 1839 renovated farmhouse with new-ish windows and insulation.

Hoping to use it as our primary source of heat with our oil (which just cost us 3.25/gal) being a backup.

That said, if we go with the Englander, which size would be appropriate? Is there harm in getting a bigger unit than we need? I plan on doing a small addition to the house (dining room only) in the next year off the main area and I'd like to have the capacity to send heat that way.

Thanks in advance!
Brandy

brandytab said:
Hi all!

Great resource! That said, we have decided to purchase a pellet stove, at this point
we're trying to decide whether to buy a used stove (there are a few for sale locally
that originally went for 3-4K, Harman, Enviro, etc.) or spend the same amount
on a new Englander at Home Depot. Any thoughts?

We have about 1600 sqft total, with the primary living area being an open plan
.....as the house is an 1839 renovated farmhouse with new-ish windows and insulation.

Hoping to use it as our primary source of heat with our oil (which just cost us 3.25/gal) being a backup.

Hey there welcome!

There are some good stoves out there used, and I wouldn't
hesitate to buy used in the right situation. With a used stove
you obviously don't get a warranty and no dealer to provide
you with warranty/and or service calls when needed.
For some people that may or may not be an issue. Many
folks don't have a problem trying to troubleshoot and replace
parts on their own.

On the flip side a new one you get the warranty and the dealer backing you up
with service (hopefully). Of course you'll pay more. That said, if I were buying a new stove,
no second thoughts I'd buy an Englander. There are two gentlemen
from ESW who are regularly present on the forum and haved helped
lots of people with everything from minor setup issues to troubleshooting
bigger problems and ordering replacement parts.

The 25 PDV sounds like it would be more than adequate for your needs though
I have only read about it and never seen one in action.
If you can afford it, it's usually best to get a larger stove than you may need.
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it kinda deal.
Here's a link to that stove: http://www.englandsstoveworks.com/25-pdv.html

I'm sure either Corie or Mike (ESW guys) will be along to comment also.
I don't have an Englander but someday I will.

Thanks, zeta!

We decided on the bigger one and to just go ahead and get the new Englander. He's at Home Depot now working on the purchase.

Any opinions on pellets? They have the Freedom pellets that seem to have some feedback on the forum here that's not too great. We're thinking about going to Tractor Supply and getting them there.

Another question --- what's the simplest way to put together a hearth pad?

Thanks so much!

I just installed mine on some of the cobblestone pavers that Lowe's sells. I simply cut a piece of 1/4" plywood to fit between them and the hardwood floor, to prevent scratches. I didn't use cement or mortar because I was looking at this as a temporary thing but I sort of like the look so I'm thinking I'll build a wooden edge to hold them in place and leave it.

Others on here have simply used the large cement pavers in a similar fashion and, of course, you could always build your own out of cement board and tile.

Do a search here for for "floor protectors", "hearths", "heat shields", etc. and I'm sure you'll find loads of ideas.

Congrats on the new stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.