Newbie here! Ventless log inserts in freestanding fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Solsob

Nov 17, 2017
South dakota
I have a malm freestanding fireplace that has been sitting in my garage for a few months. I'd like to put it in my living room but there is no existing fireplace or chimney. Is it possible/safe to install a gas ventless log insert in the fireplace and just run the chimney pipe to the ceiling for asthetic purposes. If this were possible, what other factors would I need to take into consideration?

no, that would not be advised, unless the appliance is tested for it - and my guess would be it is not. You can only install ventless log sets into Vent free fireboxes, Existing code compliant masonry fireplaces, or approved prefab fireplaces (again, as long as they're installed correctly and any manufacturer requirements for VF appliances are added - often it is some sort of deflector hood at the top of the opening).

no, that would not be advised, unless the appliance is tested for it - and my guess would be it is not. You can only install ventless log sets into Vent free fireboxes, Existing code compliant masonry fireplaces, or approved prefab fireplaces (again, as long as they're installed correctly and any manufacturer requirements for VF appliances are added - often it is some sort of deflector hood at the top of the opening).
Thanks for the reply! Is there any way to convert it to gas or am I only limited to wood burning? It is one of those cool old retro free standing fireplaces so I would really like to make it work.

Your best bet is to contact Malm for their perspective on it. From what I can see they look to make some Gas specific units among their line up. That may not bode well for being able to modify a wood stove, but it would at least let you know where you stand with the stove you currently have.