Newbie ID help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lure hobby farm

May 29, 2022
Minnesota
First time posting. I purchased a wood stove to offset the fuel prices. Bought a splitter and I cut this massive tree down near our backyard. It seems to be a hardwood since it’s heavy and dense. Any thoughts to what this is? It hadn’t leafed out yet when I cut it. FBD0EFE7-652D-46A7-A98F-AA6791C0C90A.jpeg7FF80926-324D-4DD4-A015-50430C436942.jpeg9AA46526-527A-4D19-A748-283A98FF3E38.jpegA90B0BC0-6B4E-4F58-895C-4A0D714CF130.jpeg

Lastly any idea what this wood is? I’ve had some old trees blow down with no bark on it but it’s dried out for years with this type of design all over it.66FE14C3-5EAE-4415-9E6F-7350EAAD6864.jpeg

Welcome to Hearth. What type of wood stove are you going to use? Most hardwoods will require a minimum of one year if not up to three of drying time after the rounds are split and stacked. Softwoods can dry much quicker after splitting and stacking. Preferably stack splits in full wind and sun. Do you already have seasoned wood for this upcoming burning season?

My first guess is some kind of ash on the split piece. Maybe maple.

Firewood-wise you are going to be scrambling for next year. Your blow downs might be dry for next year if you get after some of them now. Maybe dry now? You could probably use a moisture meter to see where you stand (see how to use moisture meter thread).

The first pic is some sort of hardwood - doubtful it will be dry enough next year. Maybe look for pines or light density type trees, too. These will dry in a year. It kind of works like this, light density wood = 1 year drying, medium density = 2 years, and heavy density, like oak, = 3 years. The goal is to get the wood down to at least 20% moisture content.

Pics from post #1 = ash
You'll be pushing to burn upcoming season even if split narrow/ small. Hold for the following season

Pic from post #2 = elm (probably Am elm). Distinguishing characteristic pattern of elm bark beetle egg gallery.
Split and it should be ready to burn upcoming season.

Reactions: Stinkpickle
first two pictures look like catalpa. what does it smell like? catalpa smells like no other wood

I'm kinda thinking black oak on those first sets of photos.

ASH

Top pic ash. Last dead standing ash I cut up was 27 % mc while standing. If yours is that dry it might dry out by firewood season.