Newbie install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jerryjones88

Dec 16, 2021
Texas
Hello,

I’ve been reading through the forums and recently purchased a Vogelzang XL Wood Stove with Blower.

We are in the process of building a house and want to install the wood stove in the corner.

I have two questions:

1) The flooring in the house is stained and sealed concrete. Will this mean a hearth is not necessary? The instruction manual for the stove says that “This heater must have a non-combustible floor protector with an R-Value of at least 1.2 installed beneath it if the floor is constructed of combustible material.”

Being that it is just concrete is it necessary to use a floor protector?

2) From the attached image it shows that since the stove will be facing angled / caddy cornered, I will need 18” of clearance from the wall to the back of stove. Would textured drywall over wood studs be okay to leave behind the stove, or do I need to plan to do cement board and tile? If I am say 20” from the wall to the corner would I be okay to just leave the wall bare?

Thanks in advance!

CA9B2897-F3AC-4B22-A575-43E29FCB72BB.jpeg

There is no need for additional floor protection on the concrete floor.
The clearances are to the nearest combustible, which includes drywall. As long as the clearances are honored, there is no need for additional protection. At 20" the bare or painted drywall is ok.