Newbie is in love with her fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cearbhaill

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 15, 2007
The deep end
I am new- to this site, to hearths, to fires.. to cold climates in general!
I have recently relocated to Eastern Kentucky after decades in South Florida, so I am especially needing to stay warm this first cold season here.

When we moved into our new home I had the chimney repaired, a stainless steel liner put in, and a Pacific Energy insert installed, the "Pacific" model.
I am one of those that thinks running an insert in the basement will heat my main floor, and I've been lurking long enough to know that it is not as simple as it sounds.

At any rate we had the chimney repaired, got the insert installed, bought wood, then waited for cooler weather.
It's here!

Well the unit works perfectly. I had not built a fire in over 30 years but it started right up. Drafted perfectly, no smoke at all, clean glass- I am very impressed with my insert!. It heats my areas very well and manages to stay going all night, too. I love it. Even the main floor felt the effects of the heat- no kidding.

I love it a little too much as now all I want to do is sit and huddle next to the fire. If I keep this up I will run out of wood when I need it most- help?
Is there a 12 step program for this? I've run into more than a few 'vices' in my life, but by george this was the fastest addiction I have ever experienced. Please tell me it will calm down some in the coming winter months. Or that perfectly seasoned wood will fall from the sky.

That's my story.
Just a brief intro to your newest fire loving member.
Carry on.

Hehe. Welcome to the forum! Great first post.
I hate to say it, but I think you need to start
looking for a place where you can get more wood.
:lol:

I love it a little too much as now all I want to do is sit and huddle next to the fire. If I keep this up I will run out of wood when I need it most- help?
Is there a 12 step program for this? I’ve run into more than a few ‘vices’ in my life, but by george this was the fastest addiction I have ever experienced. Please tell me it will calm down some in the coming winter months. Or that perfectly seasoned wood will fall from the sky.

That’s my story.
Just a brief intro to your newest fire loving member.
Carry on.

Oh oh...I smell addiction.
Here are some indicators that you may be addicted.

1) 65 degrees is colder then heck.
2) Driving down any road you notice wood piles and immediatley are envious.
3) Winter time at your house means boxer shorts and headbands
4) The dog whines when the fire needs stoked and the cat moves under the stove
5) Guest stop by at your house and ask "Are you stoned?" You reply, "Just tending fire"
6) Matches, lighters and a blow torch are all within hands reach of the woodstove
7) Smell your hands...Have you been camping again?
8) You hear the furnace crank up and you cringe
9) You used to have arm hair
10) You are posting on a Hearth Room Forum

Gray

Oh- all of the above.
Thanks guys.

Two weeks into the whole schmegeggy and I already know I can never have too much wood.
I'll be charred by January... but it's a happy charred.

Welcome! If it's any consolation, at least heating your house with wood is one of the healthiest addictions you can have. As far as a cure....No one here has found one.

hanging out watching football in your shorts in January is the bestest thing ever...

Congrats,

I've got the same stove, same addiction and not enough wood. Its like looking in the mirror. Cept yer a chick :)

Cearbhaill said:
Please tell me it will calm down some in the coming winter months. Or that perfectly seasoned wood will fall from the sky.

Hate to be the one to break it to you.... but it gets worse as is gets colder out

Welcome

5) Guest stop by at your house and ask "Are you stoned?" You reply, "Just tending fire"
6) Matches, lighters and a blow torch are all within hands reach of the woodstove

Gray[/quote]

You forgot number 11) Relatives come over to visit and stay only for about 15 minutes.

Lignums said:

Gray

You forgot number 11) Relatives come over to visit and stay only for about 15 minutes.[/quote]Is that a bad thing or a good thing?

jpl1nh said:
Lignums said:

Gray

You forgot number 11) Relatives come over to visit and stay only for about 15 minutes.
Is that a bad thing or a good thing?[/quote]

Unfortunately in our big family rule #11 comes in handy allot. When my side of the family comes over they are cool with it, they grew up in an old farm house with an old WWII era wood furnace that the blower would run on intervals no matter how hot it was in the house. Now the wife's side...Rule #11 comes in real handy. When she says her annoying sister and her friends are going to crash a dinner, I get that stove hot, and keep it hot...they never stay for long.

i just installed my summit a couple weeks ago.i love it.i cant believe how much nicer it is than my old insert.i cant stop playing with it.i have burn marks on my hand to prove it,honestly lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.