Newbie looking for advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bru71

Feb 16, 2023
PA
I am looking to purchase a wood stove. I was looking at Jotul F500 or the Quadra Fire 5700. I went to a local family owned wood stove dealer today. After speaking with them, I am considering the Jotul F500 or the Quadra Fire 5700 step up. I have read some negative reviews about both on this site, I think more on the Jotul. Anyone have any good experience with either? Any other suggestions on another brand? Any help is appreciated.

They are very different stoves in construction, size, and burn technology. The 5700 is about 1/3d larger and a tried and true secondary welded steel stove. The F500v3 is true castiron stove that has a unique full-width catalyst with no bypass. The Jotul F55 would be a much closer match for the Quad 5700.

Are these the only two brands they sell?

They are very different stoves in construction, size, and burn technology. The 5700 is about 1/3d larger and a tried and true secondary welded steel stove. The F500v3 is true castiron stove that has a unique full-width catalyst with no bypass. The Jotul F55 would be a much closer match for the Quad 5700.

Are these the only two brands they sell?
They also sell Vermont Casting

OK, they are pretty but can be fussier and more to maintain. Back to the Jotul and Quad. How large of an area will the stove be heating?

OK, they are pretty but can be fussier and more to maintain. Back to the Jotul and Quad. How large of an area will the stove be heating?
About 1800 sq. Ft. I am just looking for a solid wood stove, doesn’t have to be pretty.

Will the stove room be open to most of the rest of the floor or in a separate room, like in a colonial floor plan?

The Quad 5700 is a simpler stove and a big heater. In Jotul, I would lean toward the F45 or F55.