Newbie-- Looking for big glass & warmth for 2700 sq ft home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did your stove start out shiny and then go dull like that after first burn?

Forget which stove you own....

Been 8 yrs. since stove install. It seems like it has always been dull-ish.
The dbl. wall stove pipe has gotten duller though! Used to be fairly glossy looking.

Pretty install CountryChick.

I suspect the stove is fine . . . it seems pretty normal for matte black painted stoves to become a little less black over time. I suspect, as another, it's the paint curing. How is the smell?

Thanks Jake!

It's pretty stinky when we ran it last night. Smoke alarms went off. Lol. So opened windows and doors. Hoping today is better.

I just bought it! Had install yesterday. And it looks that way after one burn.

So trying to figure out if that's normal for a f55. But nobody who has one has replied yet. So will wait to see. I'm just hoping we didn't do something wrong.

Thanks for responding and letting me know what you think. Do you have a f55?

Thanks Jake!

It's pretty stinky when we ran it last night. Smoke alarms went off. Lol. So opened windows and doors. Hoping today is better.

So trying to figure out if that's normal for a f55. But nobody who has one has replied yet. So will wait to see. I'm just hoping we didn't do something wrong.

Most stove manufacturers now call out a mounting location for a thermometer, and a maximum allowable temperature at that location. If you didn't exceed that, then you did nothing wrong!

No experience with Jotul paint (all of my Jotuls were either factory enameled or aftermarket re-painted), so can't comment on what's normal for them. But as others have said, most painted stoves dull out as the paint cures. Matte black is normal, unless you have metallic paint or enamel.

Thanks Jake!

F-500 Oslo . . . Ashful makes a good point . . . if you don't have a stove top thermometer it's not a bad idea to get one as they can be pretty darned useful in making sure you don't overfire your stove. I also am a big fan of having a flue thermometer as well to help me run my stove more efficiently.

Reactions: Ashful
We just ordered a stove thermometer. Did not have one. Will think about getting one for the pipe too.

Do you have links to share for good thermometers?

Just hoping we bought a good one. Thought I'd ask what you guys use.

Thanks!!

I just had a quadrafire Explorer 2 installed, I'm heating close to 3800 sqft with it, we don't need it boiling in our home, I got it up to 71 on 3 logs yesterday with it being 36 outside. Mainly poplar and a few pieces of locus or oak. No other system came on, and our house is spread out like a ranch but two levels (not including basement) I have yet to put a full load in and I am extremely pleased.
This is this morning warming it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NickDL
Thanks begreen and firefighterjake!

Great info! We got the right thermometer my hubby said after looking at yr link.

He doesn't want to put a hole in our double wall pipe. So prob won't get pipe thermometer unless there is another option for that.

Snavematt congrats! Pretty stove. My aunt and uncle have a explorer 3. They love it. I didn't like the ashpan option in that model. So chose the f55 and am very happy. Glad you chose the one that wks best for you!

Enjoy yr new stove! It's pretty!

Reactions: snavematt
Thanks begreen and firefighterjake!

Great info! We got the right thermometer my hubby said after looking at yr link.

He doesn't want to put a hole in our double wall pipe. So prob won't get pipe thermometer unless there is another option for that.
A probe on double-wall is the way to go. I use that more than the stove top temp to tell me when to shut down or open up the air. Using only the stove top temp is a bit like judging a car's speed by the tachometer. That works fine on level ground, but can be deceptive if going downhill.

Reactions: Ashful
[QUOTE=". =) I like the snap crackles of wood. Which kind does the most of that? Pine?[/QUOTE]

Pine snaps and sparks very little, Fir will do more. If you really want crackling find some spruce!

Some of the fir and pine that the logging outfit has was likely dead standing when they took it, you may want to ask.

Oh and I wouldn't worry to much about the paint so far, see what it does with the next few fires, it will stink with every new high temperature..

. . ..

I can relate . . . the idea of taking a perfectly good, new (and expensive) flue pipe and purposefully putting a hole in it can make one cringe . . . especially when one begins to think of what could happen and how it would be expensive to replace it.

However, quite honestly, if you take the time and can run a drill with two different bits in it this should be no more than a 10 minute job . . . and the end result is having a thermometer which will really help you run the stove more efficiently. Quite honestly, I use my flue thermometer more often than my stove thermometer in knowing when to start closing down the air, when to open the air up, etc.

I lit my stove in November the first time with all the windows open and fans going. Followed the manual and lit progressively hotter fires.

Then, each time I burned it hotter, I got a little more smell. Now it's all good.

Mine is flat black all the way across now.

I've used both an expensive Tel Tru and a Condar. The Condar is fine for wood stove use. Here is where the manual says to measure temp:
DSC02174.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.