Newbie, Model ID question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geri Fire

Feb 17, 2007
Hi,
I bought a used Hearthstone woodstove. How can I tell which model the stove is? I would like to see if a replacement door with a larger viewing area is available, but I will need to figure out what I have. I went to the Hearthstone website, but they refer any questions to a dealer. Any advice on where to look on the stove for the model?
Thanks
Geri Fire

Hi Geri,

There should be a plate on the back of the stove with model/make information. Next to that, posting a picture of the stove here is probably the fastest way to get an answer.

Here is a picture of the stove. It has a side load and a front load door. The chimney comes out of the top and has HEARTHSTONE molded into the chimney outlet. The print on the metal tag has faded, but the serial # is stamped. I can read Hearthstone I. I have attached a picture of it. Hope this will help.
Geri Fire

Attachments

• Hearthstone.jpg
    Hearthstone.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 222
Geri Fire said:
Here is a picture of the stove. It has a side load and a front load door. The chimney comes out of the top and has HEARTHSTONE molded into the chimney outlet. The print on the metal tag has faded, but the serial # is stamped. I can read Hearthstone I. I have attached a picture of it. Hope this will help.
Geri Fire

Looks like an older, Pre-EPA, "Hearthstone I or Hearthstone II" I hope you didn't pay a great deal for it, as the stove has a reputation of being an underperformer for it's size. Concensus I've seen among the pros here is probably not worth more than $3-500 max, assuming you want anything to do with a pre-EPA stove to begin with (note that it is ILLEGAL to install a pre-EPA stove in many areas of the US)

It is the same size as the current model, EPA-II rated, Hearthstone Heritage, but isn't as good a heater (The current model Hearthstones are generally considered EXCELLENT stoves) . I don't think you can distinguish them most readily by the border around the door. On the Heritage the door is bigger and there is barely any stone visible between the door frame and the stove corners. The earlier stoves have a big wide space between the door and the stove frame.

The older stoves don't have the secondary burn setup that the newer stoves have so they are much less efficient, and don't put out as much heat when operated correctly. However they have a tendency to be over-fired by people trying to get more heat out of them than they are designed for. In addition, they don't have the airwash systems found in most new stoves, so that little tiny window in your door doesn't even stay clean.

However it seems like those stoves when cleaned up will sell for way more money on E-bay than they are worth. I have seen them go for close to a grand many times.

(bargains can be had on E-pay, but I would strongly advise checking with us here before putting any money down...)

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.