Newbie needs chimney installation advice. HELP! Expert needed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've been eating those chocolate covered coffee beans tonight. Got a wild hare up me arse and gave the old heave ho and put the stove in place. Lined up the interior double wall pipe and traced a circle on the ceiling. Drilled a hole in the center and found the hole up in the attic. I'm coming through the ceiling joists perfectly spaced, but as the chimney goes up it doesn't look like I'll be able to maintain clearance to combustibles because I'm going to be too close to the ridge of the roof. Arrgh.

So my question is what is the fix? How close can I come to the ridge of the roof? Is the flashing an issue? What do I do?

-Kevin

Well I've been pondering my options. I'd like to keep the interior pipe straight through the ceiling for the asthetics of my living room. That would leave me to having an elbow or two inside my attic space to avoid the ridge.

My other thought was to build a cupola with a flat roof and then send the chimney through the cupola. Only problem there is that I'd have to exchange the flashing I just received on Friday and wait yet another week for my hearth dealerto come up with the flat flashing. Maybe I can bastardize (I mean modify, lol) the top portion of the flashing and make it flat, tie it into some aluminum sheet.

Or can I re-frame the ridge and bend the flashing over so that the flashing sits on two sides?

-Kevin

that cupala would be considered a chase.
if you go the elbow rout get ready to bust out the checkbook. 15* and 30* elbow pairs are super expensive. I would wait for the correct flashing if i were you.

Modifying the flashing will be difficult since the cone is what changes between flat roof and pitched roof flashings. You may be able to cut the cone off then trim it up to a flat angle but it won't be very tall by the time your done. Then you have to reattach it to another sheetmetal plate. Sounds like a losing proposition to me. You could also put in the elbows but like MSG pointed out they are very expensive. The chase and waiting for a flat roof flashing sounds like the way to go.

Thanks MSG and Shane. A cupola a chase, okay... not wanting to get bogged down in semantics, when building a chase are there any special considerations or requirements?

Also, the way it appears to be lining up most of the chimney would be on one side off the roof, enough to the point where I believe I can re-frame and then bend the flashing over. That is to say, the flashing would "saddle" the ridge, but the chimney would only be on one side. Is it legal to do this? Advisable?

-Kevin

wrench, a coupala goes on a barn and holds up a weathervain :) I know its just semantics, but it helps to be clear on what were talking about. Things to consider about a chase. How big is it going to be? ho much wind load? Hoe much snow load? How to attach it to the roof so it doenst blow off? depending on the size, it can be complicated. I would just buy some elbows if the chase is going to have to be big. You can get them for 300-400 a pair and it will make you life easy.

Actually I think that I've seen ridge flashings before. I can't remember the manufacturer though, I'm sorry. I can't see anything that would be wrong with bending the flashing over the ridge, though I've never done it and have no first hand experience with such a situation. So if someone here knows something I don't I'm sure they'll speak up.

MountainStoveGuy said:
wrench, a coupala goes on a barn and holds up a weathervain :) I know its just semantics, but it helps to be clear on what were talking about. Things to consider about a chase. How big is it going to be? ho much wind load? Hoe much snow load? How to attach it to the roof so it doenst blow off? depending on the size, it can be complicated. I would just buy some elbows if the chase is going to have to be big. You can get them for 300-400 a pair and it will make you life easy.

Cupola schmopola, lol. You make all good points MSG. I don't think it would be complicated for me to build necessarily, but sizing it would take some research. Otherwise I may end up with something too large or small architecturallly speaking.

Elbows for 3-400 a pair! Hummm. Now you've really got me thinking about building a chase.

Shane, I too don't think it would be an issue, but I'm not completely sure either. The majority of the chimney would be on one side, so the flashing should work if I bend the other end over the top and too the other side.

It would be great to hear from Elk on the matter.

-Kevin

Is it possible to alter the stove location by about 6-9"? If not, given the setup I'd go with the offset in the living room. Best not to get too fussy. Do a nice clean job and it will look fine. After 3 months of nice warmth, you'll forget about it.

BG, unfortunately it's not possible to move the stove 6 or 9 inches. I only accomodated an extra 2" in my hearth design. I hear what you are saying, get-er-done. I looked at the interior double wall pipe I have and it will not work for offsetting... not without getting another 2 sections of double wall pipe. I'd much prefer keeping the interior pipe straight and the chimney straight as well. Doesn't a straight chimney create better draw?

You're probably right that I'm being fussy, just my nature. I like to do things once and do them right.

I'd like to just bend the flashing over the ridge as the chimney itself would be on one side, just can't find any information on whether this is a legitimate installation technique or if this is a no-no. Got a phone call into Elk, but I'm not anticipating him calling me back today or tomorrow.

-Kevin

Pm me as I have a few ideas being a remodeler anf roofer
And before I dip into holiday spirits

Thanks fellas for all the advice. Spoke with Elk over the phone and got the situation figured out. I don't want to post the details here, but let's just say that my particular install situation is possible to accomplish without building a chase.

Thanks Elk for taking time off to chat with me on Christmas eve no less! What a guy!

-Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.