Newbie needs help on boiler sizing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry about question #2
I was just wondering about venting the unit.
We have prefab chimney's ( 2X construction w/vinyl siding to match house).
I do not have a boiler currently. Whatever I get will be tied into forced air units ( 1 for basement/1st floor and 1 for second floor) with HX.

You can use the stainless steel double wall chimney but it must be "all fuel" designed for wood appliance, designed to withstand a chimney fire for a given duration.

many choices, many decisions. Trust me, been there done that. Long term investment, will be well worth it. What I am doing is putting my gassifier in my unattached garage(30ft from house), that's already insulated and building an insulated furnace room(with backup heat). I'm going to have 800 gals of thermal storage in my basement. I looked at(by internet and phone) EKO, Tarm,Econoburn. Changed my mind many,many times. My heating guy has put tarms in before, so i went with a tarm solo 30. Had a glitch in the order, was not my fault, and got an update to a Baxi Innova 30 for good $$$'s. Out of the 3 manufactures to deal with Tarm and Econoburn were very good. Tarm edged out by a little, but not much. EKO just didn't feel right, don't know, it might have been just me. Just the info I got from here and other places the Econoburn is very much an equal to the Tarm, IMO. My goal was to burn as little wood as possible, that's why I stayed away from OWB. The e-classic was never described to me as a gasssifier, I'm probably wrong but I never considered it a gassifier, not in the true sense. E-clssic dealer told me to figure 100 gals of oil= 1 cord of semi seasoned wood. The gassifiers figure 1 cord ='s at least 150 gals of oil, maybe more(has to be seasoned wood). E-classic dealer give me a quote of $12,000 with hook up and insulated pipe. not figuring my pad or site work. I'll have about the same $$$'s into my gassifier, and will burn less wood. The Innova has a draft set up in it that when you open the door(anytime) there won't be any smoke out in to the room.Big plus for a house install(thats what I got for info, have not got it hooked up and running). I called and dealt with Tarm, Econburn, and EKO directly, even though I'm using a installer. Nothing like talking directly to the source. DO NOT be shy, call the source. I did this multiple times.

I had called a dealer about GARN and was told that it was too big for my house. Been told just the opposite recently. Might have considered it more with the right info. Just didn't ask the right ??'s The "small" GARN is about the same $$$'s as what I've been considering. I got to admit, it would have been kinda cool to get the guys from the neighborhood and say" boys look at this beast" :p

I agree, the Eclassic isn't a true gasifier because (my understanding) the downward discharge isn't into refractory promoting complete combustion.

I just got off of the phone with Dave and John at Cozy Heat.
Nice folks.
We talked primarily about the EKO 40.
These guys seemed more interested in helping with system design and layout than just selling a boiler.
Thought I would share that.

I might be getting closer.

Dave is a great guy. I bought my EKO 40 from him this past September....

Status
Not open for further replies.