Newbie needs help with a noisy convection blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StoveMiser

Jan 15, 2008
Western NY
I have a breckwell big e. I am still dealing with poor warranty service from homeclick.com. The convection blower has been noisy since day six. I have been reading that there seems to be some overheating issues with breckwells convection blowers. I am waiting for a new blower to arrive, but in the mean time have been pulling the blower out, oiling the shaft and bearing and i seem to get a few days out of it before having to re-oil.

I just recently thought about taking off the rear panel of the stove (45 degree corner install, so there is quite a bit of space behind the stove), using some fiberglass insulation to provide a better blocker for the heat coming of the combustion blower, and placing a fan that will blow cool air inside the cavity that contains the convection blower. It doesnt seem to me that there is any problem with leaving the rear cover off, but I was hoping for some veteran opinions.

Thanks in advance guys...

Breckwell sold /installed defective convection blowers. They are aware of the problem and have upgraded the blowers. The new part number is a-e-033.(old number is n-e-029).The only difference that I can see is that the squirrel cage is smaller. Maybe they offer just the new cage.
The blower is very easy to change on a p-23 stove and takes only a few minutes to replace.

No dealer in ct. had a blower in stock. The dealer I bought the stove from gave me Breckwell's number and told me to ask for a 30% discount ,which they gave without any questions. (You think they are getting a lot of calls?) I guess I should be thankful for the discount, but you would think that if a company cared about their products and customers ,they would replace the defective part for free. The new fan is made in Mexico so time will tell if Breckwell really solved this problem. GOOD LUCK. breckwells #866-606-8444

THe part # change is the other way around
not "s a-e-033.(old number is n-e-029).
but the 029 is the new blower to replace the 033
but they are no longer selling the 033 and when you buy a 033 the box will be marked 033 but the blower will be a 029
you can tell by looking on the label on the the blower motor

how old is the unit??? if its outside of the declared warranty, i guess i could understand but is the unit just 6 days old? is there a warranty on the part? im confused. maybe i missed somthing.

Seems like the company should be coughing up a furrball and sending you a new one eh? Come on even my wifes wonderful Maytag washer made it until a month out of warranty to start to fall apart. In this case how can they argue it, defective merchandise pure and simple. Be nice but be firm and make them give you a new one or inform them that you will badmouth the hell out of them on the net in highly read places like this, file a complaint with the State Atty General's office and the BBB. Of course thats if you can manage to get a hold of them at all............

Thanks for all the replies. Homeclick is finally sending me a new blower. They say it is in the mail. Hopefully this one will hold up better. To help the heat problem I stuffed fiberglass insulation inside the cavity between the two blowers to keep the conduction heat away from the convection blower. The company puts a small piece of insulation between the two, but I dont think its enough. I've been running it for about 24 hours and it seems to be staying cooler than before. Fiberglass insulation is fireproof right?

Status
Not open for further replies.