Newbie..please help... Wood insert too big

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n8beingnate

Dec 20, 2015
VA
I grew up with wood heat in a free standing stove and my home now has electric heat. I have a fire place so I bought an insert from a buddy and when he sent me the measurements he sent H & W & D and it fit on paper ... It never dawned on me that the masonry work in the inside of the fire place goes back at an angle. So after getting it into place there is a gap of approx. 3in between the brick and the shield that goes around the stove that should sit against the brick... Is there a spacer or something that would solve this problem? I obviously can not make changes to the fire place it's self or the insert so what are my options if any? Thanks in advance..

Manufacturers sometimes make something to make up a gap if the opening is too big but if the insert is not deep enough in the opening you'll probably have to make something up yourself. Metal or a course of brick perhaps.

What kind of insert is it? Also did you use a full liner and insulate the damper area? Should do that even if was flush with the opening since the surround is really not meant or effective for stopping air flow.

Manufacturers sometimes make something to make up a gap if the opening is too big but if the insert is not deep enough in the opening you'll probably have to make something up yourself. Metal or a course of brick perhaps.

What kind of insert is it? Also did you use a full liner and insulate the damper area? Should do that even if was flush with the opening since the surround is really not meant or effective for stopping air flow.

Timberland ... So parts are gonna have to be after marker ... And I didn't get that far but I was told to get the liner ... The stove has a damper and I was told to open the damper on the chimney all the way and just use the stove

Timberland ... So parts are gonna have to be after marker ... And I didn't get that far but I was told to get the liner ... The stove has a damper and I was told to open the damper on the chimney all the way and just use the stove
If you are just getting underway installing then do some research here. A full liner is by far the preferred method. In that case the old damper does nothing and you may have to cut it out to get the liner in. Look into adding a block-off plate. This will keep more heat in the house and help the unit run better. Looks like this;

block plate2 1-14.jpg

If your chimney is exterior masonry you can/should insulate the old firebox. Roxul is excellent for insulating the old damper area and the box if needed.

Reactions: n8beingnate
I was told to get the liner ... The stove has a damper and I was told to open the damper on the chimney all the way and just use the stove
No way...hook it to liner. "slammer" installs are illegal and dangerous.
Shouldn't be too hard to fab up some time type of trim to fill the gap

No way...hook it to liner. "slammer" installs are illegal and dangerous.
Shouldn't be too hard to fab up some time type of trim to fill the gap

I meant to say use the damper on the stove. It has one on top of the fire box ... I'm Tring to get pics to upload but I may have to wait until I get to the office in the am

With a "slammer" installation, which would be insane to do, that surround would have to be sealed tight against the face of the fireplace or you are looking at a house full of smoke and carbon monoxide. Burned in one for 21 years. A liner takes care of that but making the thing fit in that firebox ain't gonna happen.

What is the hole in the top of the stove for the exhaust? The flue collar for future reference.

I meant to say use the damper on the stove. It has one on top of the fire box ...
That will be the only damper you will have once it is in correctly. The new liner will run right through the existing chimney damper...very likely part of the damper will need to be removed, often cut out. No need to worry, if someone wants to use it as a fireplace (WHY?!) again in the future, a top mount damper can be put on...

I suspect this is a Timberline insert. Not Timberland. They built inserts for 20 years out in Winchester, VA. If it is a Timberline it probably has a very large flue exit in the top made for slammer installation. And a boot to adapt that to a liner is not gonna be cheap.

Yep. Those bad boys heated most of my neighbors houses for a long time.

Not a bad looking unit IMO. What do they require liner wise? Will they run on 6"?

Status
Not open for further replies.