Newbie question F2400 OAK 3" or 4" pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angus nytro

Dec 7, 2008
On. Canada
Hello newbie here!
first off this is a great site!
have a question mybe you guys can help? i picked up a F2400 last month. love the stove! i have been doing alot of reading about OAK's. i think i'm going to put one in to help with cold draft across the floor. i'm not sure if i should run a 3" pipe or 4" off the back of the stove, or does it matter?
thanks

What does the manual recommend and what is the size of your stove air intake? If it is 3", I would go with that size.. You can't force any more air through a 3" hole with 4" pipe. Unless, maybe you supercharge it.

I guess you can use 4" pipe. My stove used 4". 4" is the standard size for dryer ducts. So, all I needed was a aluminum dryer duct and a dryer exhaust vent. You could use that and then put a 3" reducer on it. Would work either way, may be cheaper.

the manual or Regency web site doesn't recommend anything. the stove intake is 4". i was thinking of using 3" instead of 4" (smaller hole to dill through my hearth). do you think there will be any difference in stove performance?

Ah, now I see. Unfortunately, I can't answer that question. If I had to guess, I would say yes that would be OK. I have a 4" intake too, so that is what I used. I did not have to go through brick, so it wasn't a big deal.

I do know all sizes of Hearthstone stoves use a 3" outside air intake kit. So, if it is big enough for something like the huge Hearthstone Equinox, it should be fine for your stove.

I'm just guessing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.