Newbie question on making a hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robertjp

Oct 7, 2008
Western NY
OK Ive read what I could on the forums. I am trying to install a Englander 50-sfp12p woodstove into a small 650 sq. ft. cabin at a lake. Someone please correct me if Im wrong about what I plan on doing. I just need someone to bounce this off. The manufacturer says I have to have an r value of 2 or more. I like the idea of using metal 2 x 4 studs, so I will connect these to make a frame 4 x 4 (this is the minimum the manufacturer recommends). My first dumb question is when I place the 2x4s on the floor, are they laying on the wide side (4") or the narrow side (2") ? Should there be a middle brace or just the frame? I was then planning on laying 2 pieces of 1/2" durarock with sheetmetal in between them directly on top of the metal studs. Do I screw the studs into the floor before screwing the durorock down? Do you need to mortar the durarocks together or just screw? Should I put fiberglass or just leave the air under the durarock in between the frame? It is being installed over a plywood flooring. Then I was going to using 1 foot ceramic tile and grout to complete the job. Do I have this right? I dont want to complicate the job but want to be sure I do it right as I have 0 experience with wood stoves. Thanks much and this is a very nice site. BP

P.S one more thing. The durarock does not come in 4 x 4 sheets (I think) but only 3 x 5 so is it ok to piece it together?

i am by no means an expert at this but i think i can help you out . the studs should be installed on edge "with the narow side down " . i would screw them to the floor place them no more than 16 inches appart . the durorock or wonderboard only comes 3x5 so you will have to join them together with a seam no big deal remember this is sub flooring for your tile. just make sure you have a stud under where you seam the board you dont have to morter the 2 layers together , but i would screw them together. you might also want to stager the seams between the top and bottom layer of wonderboard it would be stronger that way as far as the r value goes i can't help you there , but i am sure someone on this wonderfull forum can. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.