newbie saw buyer???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

860go

Oct 18, 2009
CT
I'm looking to get an affordable chainsaw for moderate to light duty. I was looking at the husky450 or 450E. It will be mostly used for felling a few trees a year and cutting for firewood. Like I said i'm trying to keep it under $400.00, and I doubt it will get more then 5-10 hours of use a year. I was just curious if anybody has expierence with this saw, or if someone has a better alternative they would recommend for a decent firewood saw. Thanks a lot

If you are only gonna use it 5-10 hours a year, you could get a 142 husky for around $200-$225 it is the home owner model it has 16" bar but I do most of my cutting with it, an I do have some bigger "better" saws. it has a great vibration damper system so you can still feel your hands after a few tanks in a day.

I wouldn't pay more than $200. Look for a slightly used stihl. Maybe a 290 with 18" bar. There are good used buys on CL.

It might be worth hitting some of your saw shops for good used pro-grade saws. Probably one of the first things I would say to look at is how big a round you think you'll need to be able to cut - this will determine your needed bar size. While in theory you can cut a log up to 2x the length of the bar, I find that from a practical standpoint 150 to 175% of the bar length is a better size guide (i.e. figure a 20" bar for a 30" log) More than that starts getting tricky to make the cuts line up... Then look for the engine size to match the bar - no matter what the dealer may claim, figure that you should get around 3-4cc of engine for each inch of bar length.

There is a long running arguement about pro-saws vs. home-owner grade saws for the light use cutter - Essentially it boils down to homeowner saws tending to be heavier, less powerful, and harder / more expensive to fix than the equivalent pro-saws, and how much extra the better features of a pro-saw are worth... I feel that getting a decent used pro-saw is probably a better value than a new homeowner grade saw.

One especially good value if you can find one is the used rental saws from Home Depot - They tend to be Makita 6400's which is a Dolmar in a blue suit, and is an excellent pro-grade saw in it's own right although a bit heavy for a 64cc saw. However you can, for fairly short money, drop the piston and cylinder from a Dolmar 7900 on the saw and have an 80cc screamer for short bucks...

Lastly, whatever you decide to get for a saw, don't forget to budget for your safety gear as well - Chainsaw boots, chaps, gloves, and a loggers helmet / muff / visor combo should be the least you should get.

Gooserider

If you want a Husky for $400 try to find a Husky/Jonsored dealer. Jonsored is essentially the same saw with a few upgrades over Husquvarna. Kind of like a Lexus and Toyota. They have a trade in program going on right now. I hit a tag sale and picked up an old saw for $5, not running. Ended up spending around $400 for a Jonsored 2255 which is a Husky 455 Rancher. You might not need a 56cc saw but do you want a 56 cc saw. They also have a 50cc saw for about the same that is more of a professional grade (steel case vs plastic). Either one will last you a lifetime.

Just throwing this out there, but take a look at the Dolmar 5100s

It's a very good saw in the $400 range.

I have no experience with a dolmar saw but I have used a husqvarna quite a bit and currently own a stihl 029 farmboss i dont know that I could say one brand between the two is better than the other but both are exeptional saws. I picked up my 029 farmboss 56cc saw at a local pawn shop for $125 only thing ive had to do to it is replace the fuel line(%@#$ Ethanol) It rocks pretty hard but i really just want to cut some trees with that 100cc stihl :coolgrin:

Bigg,
Was thinking the same exact thing as I read down the post!! You beat me to it.

S

Some of the Tractor Supply stores are selling the Poulan 330 for $200.
54cc and built with a vert. split mag. case. It's a good deal on a good saw. The last(?) of the good Poulans.

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I think this week I'll stop by the dealers and look for a decent used jobber. Seems like it might be the best bet for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.