Newbie that's ready to break brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tokashikibob

Feb 19, 2015
North Carolina
Hello,
Looking for some guidance before I do damage. I have a brick fireplace that looks to have been gas at one time. I burn wood in it now but not often as it produces no heat. Fireplace has no damper but the iron frame is up there and there is a hole in the floor that runs to the rear of the fireplace. I guess that is for air. Usually I have a plate on top of the chimmey so there is no outside air coming down.

I spied a old but nice wood burning insert. It was made by the Long Manufacturing co. It was going to be tight when I went out to see it and took measurements but grabbed it as I wanted to make this fireplace make heat rather than loose heat.

Problem:
It is 1/8 too tall also the mid angles of the box and fireplace may be off a hair. I'm guessing I should not remove the angle iron bar across the top but look into tearing up the firebrick floor? The other problem I forsee is getting the stainless liner onto the cap with no clearance to work it on. Maybe I should take off the angle iron and replace it after taking off a row?

Thoughts?

Thanks you in advance
Bob

I think the easiest thing for you to do at this point would be to find an insert or freestanding stove that will fit correctly. To properly make the one you have now fit, it would include quite a bit of masonry work. As far as putting a liner in, there are pre ovalized liners available to make things easier. Also, the cast iron damper frame can be cut and modified to make a liner fit.

I definitely would be on the look out for a more modern unit. Maybe even consider new. It could be less expensive to install and more efficient.

What is the fireplace opening size? What is the H & W at the rear? What is the top and bottom depth?

Status
Not open for further replies.