Newbie who needs help ~ I thought I narrowed it down to three but not sure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxpaige

Jun 21, 2008
NH Seacoast
Hello! I have been reading these forums for a week now trying to get all the information that I need to purchase a new pellet stove. I just ordered three tons of pellets yesterday but don't even have a stove yet! The stove will be going into my living room and venting on and outside wall. I was told by three different dealers that if they add the outside vent kit that I only need an 18" clearance from the front door (we don't use the door but it is a door that "can" open). Today I called one more dealer to inquire about another stove and they told me that I need 48" clearance from a door or a window. I told him that the other stoves I was looking at only required the 18". He said he would read up on it and call me back. He called back and said we definitely need 48". The stove is a Napolean the model number is NPS40. Does anyone know where I can find the information regarding the 18" clearance on this stove?

So here are the stoves I have narrowed it down to. Any pros and cons on these would be greatly appreciated.

Greenlife Pellet Stove by Regency model GF55 45,000 BUT 55 lb hopper. Total installation including everything would be $3400.00

St. Croix Afton Bay 40,000 BTU (this is the floor model). Total installation including everything would be $3400.00

Napolean NPS540 40,000 BTU total installation including everything would be $2979.00 (but this is only if I can find them the information on the 18" clearance because he doesn't seem to know what I am talking about).

Thanks so much for any help anyone can give me. I am doing all of the research on this as my husband would just buy the first one he saw without doing the leg work!

The regency gf55 is the same stove as the enviro meridian. I just bought a regency gfi55 insert but based it on reviews i found on the enviro meridian insert . hope this helps in your research.

My NPS40 owners manual states direct vent is 48 inches from a door that can open.

jaxpaige I sent you a PM.

The manuals are usually quite clear in this fashion!

Download the PDF and look closely.

Also, make certain you read the sticky in this forum regarding the potential problems with having no "rise" on your pellet vent. It just might be that you can solve two problems by running the stack up inside or outside.

Thank you all for your replies! Craig ~ I just read the sticky on the minimum 3' pipe for outside venting. The way the the St. Croix is set up at the store was obviously the incorrect way because it was just directly vented out the wall and there was no 3' pipe on it. I asked him if that is how it would be installed and he said yes. Hmmph!!!! So now I will take another trip down there on Monday and see if they can install it with the 3' pipe. I really don't think I am going to like the look of the pipe on the inside or outside of my house but I would much rather have a fully functional safe stove than the beauty of it. Now I just need to figure out if I want the inside of my living room to have an ugly pipe or the front of my house to have the ugly pipe. I wonder why all intallations aren't required to have the 3' foot pipe and it is only a recommendation.

jaxpaige said:
I wonder why all intallations aren't required to have the 3' foot pipe and it is only a recommendation.

It's easier to sell - that's really the only reason! Less money and less worries about how the pipe looks, etc.

Pipe looks fine inside- they have pre-finished black pellet vent or you can have them paint it in place...

Even the 3 foot is minimum - I went up about 5 feet or more myself inside and Rod (our resident expert here) goes all the way up on all of his installs...then again, he lives in Ca. where the houses are lower to the ground.

pellet stoves are functional without a vertical rise under normal circumstances, heck you can burn one outdoors without any pipe at all, however "abnormal circumstances" such as in event of power failure or a component failure such as the induction (or combustion blower) shutting down the little bit of natural draft from that vertical rise could mean the difference between a normal dying out of the fire or having smoke backing up in the stove and leaking into the dwelling. personally i feel all pellet stoves should have a vertical rise for this reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.