Newbie whose getting ready to install his own wood stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Michaellamberth

Sep 20, 2019
Missouri
I’m pulling out my pellet stove insert and going to buy a wood stove insert. However, my fireplace has three blower pipes that will keep keep me from putting pipes for the insert in. What are my options?

Is this a prefab Zero Clearance fireplace or is it more of a heatform (heatilator) style fireplace with a masonry chimney? Pictures are welcome.

The pipe that you see in this pic is from the pellet stove that we are removing. Approx 3” in diameter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 188
  • 285F863B-8025-44C6-9D45-BE14D8A2842E.jpeg
    285F863B-8025-44C6-9D45-BE14D8A2842E.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 187
Looks like a heatform style fireplace. The middle tube will need to be cut out.

The insert will be much more efficient and will not suck air and warmth out of the room the way a fireplace will as it is cooling down. However, once that tube is cut the fireplace will be unusable as a fireplace unless that tube is welded shut with a cover plate.

What if I I just decided to use the fireplace? Which would technically save the heat more a fire place or a stove?
An insert will be much more efficient at putting heat into the room, and with a big window you will still be able to enjoy a nice view of the fire.

A couple more questions. With in those pictures, you can see that the current pipe for the pellet stove has to curve around this steel barrier for the fireplace blowers. Does all that have to come out? Also, somebody told me that piping has to go all the way to the top of the fireplace. Is that true?

A couple more questions. With in those pictures, you can see that the current pipe for the pellet stove has to curve around this steel barrier for the fireplace blowers. Does all that have to come out? Also, somebody told me that piping has to go all the way to the top of the fireplace. Is that true?
You need to cut out enough to fit a flexible 6" liner down through that area. All of them that I have done have enough room without cutting any more than a tube or 2. But yours may be different. I also rivet sheet metal over the holes left by the cut tube to stop airflow.

And yes the liner needs to go all the way up.